F O R T Y - O N E

The door to Grayson's bedroom clicks closed as I stomp over to the opposite corner of the room. The room seems different somehow, gloomier than the last time I was here. Now, the dark furniture doesn't add to the style of the room, it adds to the dark thoughts swimming in my head.

How could Grayson be so cruel? How could he decide to kill an innocent so easily? I know he didn't necessarily believe that Eli was innocent, but how could he act as judge, jury, and executioner without gathering all possible information? Eli is weak- he was unconscious for God's sake!

As much as I hate to admit it, the thing that upsets me the most isn't the fact that he was so quick to kill my warlock friend- it was the fact that he didn't respect me. He sent his goons in to carry me out kicking and screaming while he got blood on his hands unnecessarily- and all because he has this vendetta against all coven members.

I had to threaten him with something deep. Something that would show the severity of his actions. When Cooper told me about marking, I thought I would bring it up when we got intimate, or when I felt the time was right- not in the heat of the moment to stop him from making a rash decision.

As I turn around to face Grayson, his eyes are black- as they usually are whenever he's infuriated with something. He's been angry more often than not, and I'm usually the one to calm him down. Not today...

The silence between us is deafening. The only sound is of our breathing- mine coming out in short puffs and his in long, shallow breaths. He doesn't say anything, so I choose to begin this argument.

"Aren't you going to apologize?" I give him a glare as I cross my arms in front of my chest. He only scoffs in return.

"I should apologize? How about you apologize for threatening me and not allowing me to complete a werewolf tradition? And all because I was trying to protect you!" As he screams, a vein in the side of his neck protrudes from his skin. His eyes war between black and steel, but settle on black.

"I had to threaten you because you were going to murder my friend! A friend who, might I remind you, saved my life? He's not going to hurt me!"

"He could have-"

I cut Grayson off before he can speak again. It's my turn to be angry.

"And you were going to throw me out of there, like a prisoner? You sent your little guards to grab me and force me out of the room! Do you know how scared I was?" My vision becomes blurrier by the second as tears cloud my eyes. The salty tears don't fall, but they will any second now.

His eyebrows furrow as he takes in my fearful form. His fingers extend out to me, as if his instinct is to hold me when I'm vulnerable and upset.

"Thea, you should know that they would never hurt you-"

"I wasn't scared of them," I say in a low voice that I knew he could hear. "I was scared of you." Now my tears fall, trailing down my cheeks, down my chin, staining my face with wet mascara. I must look like a deranged raccoon, but I don't care what I look like right now.

Grayson's face says it all. Tears form in his eyes before he quickly wipes them away with a fist before they can fall. He looks at me with regret and guilt as his mouth opens and closes as he searches for the right words to say.

"You were scared of me?" he whispers, and I almost don't catch his words. I nod my head slowly, watching his reaction. He exhales quickly before grabbing his dark locks between his fingers and pulling harshly. He paces around the room, left foot, right foot, left foot- turn. Right foot, left foot, right foot- turn. He stops pacing to walk over to me, but almost as if he remembers why he's pacing in the first place, he stops reaching for me and begins pacing again. I'm mesmerized by his movements, I'm stuck watching this vulnerable side of Grayson that I'm so unaccustomed to viewing.