T H I R T Y - T H R E E

Congrats to @CenturyLostToMemory for guessing correctly!

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)

Eli's POV

This past week has been one of the most difficult ones of my entire life. After Thea refused to talk to me, I wasn't able to explain my predicament to her. She's so stubborn when she wants to be. There I was, trying to do the "ethical" thing she always whines that I should do, and when I finally attempt to do it, she won't even let me. What the hell?

I wasn't expecting to like her. I thought this was just another job. Originally, I was sent to campus to befriend Cooper and later kill him once I gained his trust. Since their Alpha Grayson didn't have a mate, the best way to destroy the stability of the pack would be to take out the Betas. Cooper's death would kill Beta Axel, and my coven could easily swoop in and destroy the pack so us magical beings could finally practice magic freely without worrying about what stupid humans could see.

Once I discovered that Alpha Grayson may have a mate-and a human one at that- my mission changed instantly. Now, my goal was to befriend the girl and make sure she was actually the Alpha's mate. The only problem? In the time it took to ensure she was the right girl, I began to like her. A lot. She became a source of happiness in my otherwise dreary and monotonous life. Her ethical arguments were so flawed and human, yet I couldn't help but strive to be like her in that regard.

Being ethical wasn't something I ever had to be. The coven doesn't give a shit about human lives, they only care about their own magic. Since the werewolves act as guards to our practice of magic, the coven leaders became annoyed with them and recruited me to weaken them so we can prepare for a war. However, now I have begin to feel something I've never felt before- guilt.

Who knew guilt could hurt so much? I feel sick to my stomach over what I did to Thea. My orders were to kill her. Instead, I bought myself some time to figure out how to save her. Elle knew about my feelings instantly- she's my twin, so she called me out the second we left Java the first time they were introduced.

The freaking vampire was the coven's test to see if she was Alpha Grayson's mate. We were supposed to go to Velvet Elixir, and when she was threatened, Grayson and his pack members were supposed to show up. That way, the coven could be absolutely sure, without a shadow of a doubt, that Thea was Grayson's mate. Then, we were supposed to gain her trust more, then have her unintentionally share the pack's secrets, and then we would kill her- easy as pie, right?

Well, that stupid fucking thing called guilt got in the way. Thea came clean about being close with Grayson, and I couldn't stop the vampire attack soon enough. Coven members swarmed the place and refused to let me stop the violence. She got hurt- badly- and there wasn't a thing I could do to stop it. She must have been so scared...

After that, my heart was aching. I knew that I was to blame for everything. I tried to apologize, but she didn't want to speak to me. Humans are so sensitive, sometimes. I get that I was complicit in the plan to kill her, but she didn't know that!

Then, I got an order to kill her. Thea, my weak, ethical, small human friend that taught me more about life than I ever thought possible. I knew I couldn't go through with it. To buy myself time, I cast a spell on her- somnia in somnus. It kills the victim slowly, not allowing them any rest. Their dreams are plagued with their worst fears, and after a few weeks they eventually die from a combination of lack of sleep, fear, and sorrow.

I cried myself to sleep the night I cast it. While my superiors praised me on an excellent slow death for Thea, I mourned my friend. I saw she kept texting me, but I couldn't respond. Not knowing that she was going to die so soon, and at my hand no less.