Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Mom?" I asked, scratching the back of my neck. I wasn't informed that they are gonna come home. Heck, I wasn't prepared. The only thing I'm worried about is Julie right now. What will happen tonight, huh? We'll see.

Mom gave me a kiss on the cheek and stepped inside. Dad was behind her, giving me a big man-hug like always. But there was something that seems rather odd. It wasn't like Mom to give me these.....hugs and kisses. So let's say it was rather odd.

"Hey son." Dad chimed as he stepped inside. "Where's your sister?"

I gulped hard. "You probably shouldn't hav---"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" Too late. Julie already shouted in berserk. It was always like this. She wasn't a big fan of our parents. Because one: They rarely come home and two: They suck at being parents. So the only family she ever thinks of is probably me and Sandra as well since she's the usual visitor in this humble abode.

Shoving my Dad aside, I scramble towards the kitchen only to find an angered Julie and a scared Mom. Sometimes I even wonder how my life is like this. Like a good boy I was raised, (by my grandparents) I rushed to Julie's side and grabbed her by the hand. She wasn't protesting which makes it easy.

"Julie." I whispered at her ear. "Let's go to your room now, shall we?" She yanked her hand away from my grasp and gave a look that seems like a glare in my point of view. My heart instantly gave me a wave of guilt and sadness.

"Why'd you even let them inside?" She hissed then glared at my parents, who are now standing in front of us....gaping. And with that, she marched out of the kitchen and went upstairs. Everything was silent until we heard a loud slam. I gave that as a cue to start the conversation going.

I let out a heavy sigh and grabbed a kettle at the closet. "Would like some tea?" I asked, trying to make the air of awkwardness disappear.

Mom and Dad simply looked at each other and just nodded.

Tick... Tick...Tick... goes the clock. 

In this room, seconds seems like minutes and minutes seems like hours. We waited for a few moments to start talking since we knew that Julie's still upset about Mom and Dad being here. I took that as my leave to go upstairs and check on my baby sister.

Pitter... patter... pitter ...patter goes the rain.

I didn't realize that it started raining. Shrugging the coldness that I felt, I continued my way down the dark hallway towards my sister's room. The moment I was in front of the weird looking door with a sign that says 'JULIE IS AWESOME', I gently pressed my ear against it and listened carefully.