Forty-six

'Then who is the woman I've been living with this whole time?'

That eerie thought invaded Alora's mind every waking moment since that day. Soon after, Mcgonnagall had filed a report to the ministry to reopen the investigation of what truly happened that night. The woman she had thought of as her family... it was all a facade. She's merely a nameless woman, not found in any ministry records or even heard of in the faintest whisper in the winds.

Ministry officials had come to the school to interview the young girl and soon after, rumoured conversations stirred between the students. The information regarding the famed former death eater Lera Blackburn's daughter had somehow leaked and the press came flooding into the front gates of the school to get any sliver of information they could sneak past the walls.

Barely a week later, Alora's face was printed onto the front cover of almost every newspaper. She became the newest headliner in the wizarding world and with that came all the unwanted attention. Those who hadn't taken a second glance at her before had their curious gazes on her as she passed, it was quite burdensome.

In her peripheral vision, she could sense the eyes of people in the library staring at her as she nervously peels through the book's flimsy pages. She gulped at the anxious feeling that wracked through her while biting down on her bottom lip out of habit.

"If you don't want to study in the library we can go to  the hospital wing we're no one will bother us." Draco squeezed her hand lightly, noticing her shift in her seat uncomfortably.

Alora shook her head at him.
"It doesn't bother me." She blatantly lied.

"You should know I can tell when you're lying."

She felt a disheartened sting shoot up into her chest. He looked at her with a lingering gaze that spoke volumes. Unlike all those pitied looks she'd received, draco's eyes were full of compassion and whole-heartedness.

Draco peered over the book he was holding with pressed lips.
"You can tell me anything alora...I'll listen for as long as you need me to."

A solemn smile ghosts over her lips.
"I know you would."