18 | What Should I Do Now?

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 3010

The rain pounded against the cadets' faces as they ran in the dark forest, trying to make their way through the muddy grounds. The heavy packs on their backs weren't making the task any easier than it already was. Shadis rode on his horse with them, eyeing the teens from the sidelines. Noticing someone had fallen behind the main group, he slowed down, trying to reach them.

"What's wrong, Arlert?! You're the only one behind!" he shouted, glaring down at the blond. "Is it too heavy for you?! Would you like to be the only one not carrying a pack?!"

Armin stayed silent. Not that he didn't have an answer, but he was just panting so hard, struggling to breathe as the green cloak around him kept sticking to his face from the wetness. Realising he wasn't getting an answer out of him, Shadis shook his head and fastened his pace to catch up back to the front.

"Sh... Shit..." Armin uttered as he struggled to keep himself up. Noticing someone was beside him, he turned to his right, looking up at the taller male, "Reiner..."

"Give me that, Armin!" the blond bid, taking the heavy backpack off Armin's back, "At this rate, you'll fail!"

"B-But if you help me, then you'll fail too!" Armin gasped.

"Make sure we don't get caught...!" Reiner muttered, glancing at Shadis up in the front, "At least until I change my mind!"

However, Shadis had seen and heard everything, being the sly fox he is. But he made no move to stop them. Glancing back at the two, he wrote down notes in his mind.

'Reiner Braun...
He's strong as an ox and has the will to match. But more than anything, he's earned the trust of his comrades.'

Armin grit his teeth, quickly grabbing the pack from Reiner, "I won't be a burden! Even if I die trying!"

The taller male gasped, staring at Armin's back as the blond suddenly dashed forward as a try to catch up to the others, "Wha...?! Hey!"

'Armin Arlert...
When it comes to physical strength, he doesn't measure up to soldier standards. But I hear that in the classroom lectures, he's shown extraordinary imagination. If he acquired a sense of direction... Or perhaps...'

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Flying forward, Jean set his gaze on the wooden structure, drawing out his blades. He shot his anchors, zooming towards the leather pillow and slashed through it, Bertolt and Annie doing the same behind him.

Glancing back at the scene, he swore under his breath as he saw the two's cuts were deeper, "Shit! Annie and Bertolt got it again..."

There was a man observing them on the ground, who pulled out his notebook and started comparing the depth of the products of their swords. Writing down the results, he pulled down the titan dummy.

'Annie Leonhart.
The angle of approach of her slashing attacks is impeccable... She carves deeply into the target. Personality-wise, she tends to be a loner and has trouble cooperating.'