36 | The Beast Titan

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 3593

"I'm telling the truth! I know I heard footsteps!" Sasha shouted with dread, emphasizing her words with waving her hands around. Much to her irritation, her view was full of confused gazes staring up at her like she was a maniac. Hearing the window behind her suddenly rattle, the brunette whirled around in her spot as everyone else's attention moved to the figure kneeling on the windowsill. Nanaba opened the window to peek inside, her eyes inspecting the silent crowd that waited for her to speak up.

"Is everyone here?" she asked, receiving only silence from the bewildered teens as a response. She leaned against the window frame, deciding to explain the situation straight away instead of repeating her question. "We have multiple titans nearby, 500 meters to the South. They're walking this way," she began, "There's no time for you to change into your combat uniforms. Get on horseback immediately. Sweep through and evacuate nearby houses and villages. Got that?"  She scanned the crowd gathered around her for nods of approval, giving the teens time to take in her words although they were in a hurry to leave. 

Connie's eyes unfocused for a second, widening as he uttered out, "From... The South?" Sasha quickly turned to him in concern, realizing the meaning behind his words. His village was to the South from here.

Reiner quickly turned to Bertolt, staring at him through his furrowed brows, "So... They broke through the Wall?" His voice was sceptical and so were his eyes, eyeing Bertolt's features for any sign of confirmation.

"Sorry, but lunch is on hold until you finish your mission!" Nanaba quickly notified Sasha, before ushering her and the others to start moving with her hands, "All right, get going! You won't be able to sit around like idiots anymore if you end up dead!"

As the crowd of recruits started rushing out of the room to the horse stables, Nanaba flew back to the rooftop. She walked over to Mike, who stared into the horizon in silence. "Mike. Where are the titans?"

"Ahead of us," Mike responded, his low voice monotone although his words held crucial information for their survival, "As far as my nose can tell... There are nine out there."

"So we should act as if another Wall has been breached?" she asked unsure, shuddering at even having to think about the possibility, "There would have been a report if Trost District or Krolva District were attacked... If the Wall itself was breached and not a gate, then there's no telling what the extent of the damage will be... And even if the breach was at a gate... Unless there happens to be a conveniently sized rock lying nearby, we won't be able to plug the hole, even with Eren."

Her eyes trailed from the back of Mike's head to the wooden boards under her feet. "In other words," a troubled look took over her features, "Our worst-case scenario... Is happening right now... All that matters is... Wall Rose has been breached."

Mike kept silent as Nanaba knelt down, her equipment clunking against the wooden roof accompanied with the wind howling in both of their ears. Nanaba covered her mouth with her hand, rubbing her jaw in thought. She was clearly distressed by the historic event playing out before them.

"We... We failed to discover the identities of the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan, or even to assess the enemy's combat strength... This day is the result," the blonde muttered, lowering her head. "We've lost... Humanity has lost..."