"We realize this is hard to consider, but we are trying to understand whether this is completely random or something else." Detective Sampson explains, looking between us.

I shake my head and look at Reese sideways. She is biting a fingernail and sort of gazing off into space. I wait patiently for her to speak. Agent Alba notices her aloofness.

"Miss Hutton, it's not a coincidence that you transferred here recently from the area which these guys are active, is it?"

"No, um, the guy I used to date was somehow connected. I mean not him specifically, but his family. His dad." Reese answers and both agents jump into action.

"We're going to need names, Miss Hutton."

Reese sighs. "Lu tried to keep me protected from that part of his life. Before he and I split up, his dad wanted to talk to me."

I'm curious as to whether this was before or after Reese decided not to keep the baby. I don't interject, though.

"I had met him before...on Christmas Eve. This time, he accused me of poisoning his son's thoughts and turning him against his family. None of it made sense to me because Lu barely acknowledged his family. When I said this, his dad beat me. I only managed to get away with my life because I landed a lucky shot on him that took him out of commission long enough for me to escape. Later, Lu told me about his father's lifelong affiliation with the Fire. He also told me his father said he would kill me if he ever saw me again."

I swallow hard, soaking in everything my girl has been through. It would have been a lot just in terms of the pregnancy, but to add this shit on top of it? She's so much stronger than anyone knows.

She continues. "At that time, I had already received the job offer from Gerber, but didn't know if I wanted to move to O'ahu. I was on the plane the next day."

Agent Alba speaks in a soothing tone. "Miss Hutton, this is all very helpful. But it doesn't explain why Deca would come after you here. It's risky and not the norm of this gang. Are you sure that is everything you know about the Fire? You never saw this man?"

She pushes the photo across the table. Reese takes a glance and then buries her head in my shoulder. I tighten my grasp around her and get defensive. "Look she's told you everything she knows."

"The only time I saw that man was when he forcibly entered my apartment." Reese speaks, muffled against me.

"We understand. I'm sorry if it feels like we're pushing you too hard." Detective Sampson apologizes.

Reese pulls back and takes a deep breath. "It's fine."

"No, it's not. Are you sure you want to continue this?" I ask her.

"We're almost done. Miss Hutton, have you been in contact with Lu recently? Is there any reason why after months of nothing they would choose to attack now? Has anything changed?" Agent Alba looks for motive.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach. The thing that has changed in Reese's life. The thing that is new...is me. Which means someone has been watching her. My fist clenches tightly and my jaw locks.

Reese is talking and pauses when she feels me tense. "No, I even changed my number. Lu doesn't have it. And nothing..."

"Miss Hutton?" Detective Sampson prompts.

"I'm the thing that's new." I say.

"Ash..." Reese shakes her head.

"It's true." I cut her off. The two officers exchange a look. The must be thinking what I was.