Chapter 28: Asgore

Frisk

At last. It was time to do her duty. Frisk was finally going to save the underground monster community from the barrier that caused them to become resentful and bitter.

A week had passed since Frisk had come out to Sans about how she felt and about the powers she possessed, and ever since then she had made it her job to get monsters together to take action. Well, any monster who she knew wouldn't kill her. So pretty much just Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, and Alphys. Oh, and Alphys brought Mettafell, the star of the channel that Frisk had been forced to watch since there was nothing else for her to watch. He just looked like a TV to her but according to Alphys she had just reprogrammed the bot to do useful things to help, and also stated that he did indeed have a soul inside. Frisk only wished that she knew where Flowey was, for she dearly wished he could come see her save them all firsthand.

Now the monsters were gathered at Sans and Papyrus's house in Snowdin, sitting on the couch.

"I-I have told Asgore w-we will be arriving s-soon," Alphys announced, sounding grim and determined despite her stutter. "I-I told him about the h-human." She wrung her hands together nervously and gulped, which was surprising to Frisk. Sure, the yellow monster stuttered but she hadn't realized how anxious she truly was. "H-he wasn't too happy that I-I hand't killed Frisk yet...but I-I'm sure all will go well."

Sans

With what Alphys had said out of the way, the monsters and Frisk went and headed out of Snowdin. Sans walked close to Frisk, and was startled when she reached out and squeezed his skeletal hand with her own in a loving way. There was an anxious expression on her face and Sans swore deep inside that he would protect her if anything went wrong. He blushed when he realized that all his companions had noticed. Alphys smiled as though she found their relationship cute. Undyne snickered, then moved closer to Alphys and gave her an affectionate nudge with her elbow. It was hard to tell what Metafell thought because he was a literal TV, but Sans had his guesses by how he was leaning toward them Papyrus just looked surprised.

"Lovers?" Papyrus asked.

"Yeah," Sans replied, rubbing his skull sheepishly. He was well aware of how furiously he was blushing.

"Hmm," Papyrus then smiled, winked, and stepped back to give Frisk and Sans some room. Sans was crazily surprised by this but he didn't say anything. Then the monsters continued to make their way through Snowdin.

***

"This place has always freaked me the hell out," Sans muttered as they walked through the Judgement Hall, at which the end of it they would see King Asgore.

"Why?" Frisk asked, glancing at Sans curiously.

"Dunno," He said with a shrug. "Just does." He quickened his pace a small bit. He didn't want to linger in the strange hall that was known as Judgement Hall. He didn't care to stay there longer than needed and he had no clue why he found it unnerving. Finally they reached the end and exited to see Asgore himself standing among flowers.

Frisk

Frisk swallowed nervously and pressed herself against Sans as she stared up at Asgore with wide eyes. She was trying not to shiver as she eyed the goat monster. He was huge and definitely muscular, with an black-furred beard and hair. He had eyes that burned fiercely through her that made her feel anxious. But the trident in his hands was what worried her most...she hoped he didn't impale her or any of her friends with his weapon.

Then Frisk remembered that her friends were there and that they would back her up if anything bad were to happen. She smiled at that thought. They were there for her. She trusted them...especially Sans. She squeeze his hand a bit tighter and gazed at Asgore, straightening her spine to look braver.

He looks a lot like Toriel... Frisk thought as she looked at the king and remembered the crazy goat lady that resided in the ruins. It made her once more how Flowey was doing...

"Human," Asgore said coldly, snapping Frisk out of her thoughts. "You are going to die today." His gaze flickered toward Undyne and Papyrus and he narrowed his eyes. "So are those two members of the royal guard. They disobeyed me and my laws." He grinned. "I just brought them here so I can kill you all."

Sans

"That's a load of shit!" Sans spat, rage stirring in his soul. "The human, Frisk, has never done anything wrong in her life!" He squeezed her hand tighter and felt her wince, so he loosened his grip. He knew his bones must be pretty hard against her soft skin.

Asgore glared at him, though he could see surprise in his dark gaze. "Papyrus and Undyne have revealed that you are the one who found her, without killing her or handing her over. You will be the first to die, short skeleton." He chuckled. "It seems as though you all forgot our motto, 'kill or be killed'. Don't worry, though, I'll remind you what the law of our kind is." He raised his trident in preparation to strike.

"No!" Undyne snarled fiercely, rage glittering in her one eye. "Frisk has proved to us that there are other ways to live! It's not the only way!"

"Silence!" Asgore roared. He swung his trident toward Undyne but Papyrus lunged forward and yanked it aside, sending Asgore tumbling to his left.

"Stop it," Papyrus growled angrily. "We are telling you that the human is not here to cause harm. She wants to save us and bring us to the surface. LISTEN TO US!"

Frisk flinched at the tall skeleton's angry tone, but Sans was used to it. But he was proud and happy that his brother seemed to be improving, and that he was protecting Frisk and the others.