Chapter 1: Skeleton In The Woods

Frisk

Frisk had just left the ruins where Toriel, a crazy goat-monster lady lived with a flower named Flowey, who had guided her out of the ruins. Toriel had kept her pretty much hostage in the ruins for over a week. Lucky for Frisk, though, Flowey had managed to distract her while Frisk escaped. She felt bad about leaving the poor flower there, but she could do nothing more than purse her lips and continue down a path that led through some dark woods.

Great. Frisk thought sarcastically as she tried to make her way through the forest, staying on path. Now I have to walk around these dark woods until I reach that town...Snowdin or whatever it's called. Totally not scary! But she knew it had to be done. Flowey had directed her to go to Snowdin, and he had been so happy when she told him she was going to try saving the underground. To her that meant setting the monsters free, though she knew she would have to convince them no to kill all of humankind before they got to the surface. She knew Flowey feared for her well being and, well, she couldn't blame him after seeing how Toriel had acted. She had no doubt that she was going to have to struggle hard to survive without fighting anyone down underground. 

Feeling as though someone was following her, Frisk looked over her shoulder. She saw no one, though she still felt like she was being watched. After hesitating for a moment, Frisk turned and cautiously continued to walk through the dark woods.

Sans

Sans followed the human as she strolled through the woods, grinning as he did so. 

A human in the underground once again, eh? He cracked his knuckles. Paps will be so proud of me if I manage to capture it...or give it to him to capture and kill. 

But Sans wanted to kill the human himself. Burning hatred fueled him as he followed the human through the woods. He remembered every story about how the monsters ended up in the underground. It was the fault of the human species. They all needed to die. It was kill or be killed, and humans would be the ones to die while the monsters laughed over their graves.

If it weren't for the stupid humans I wouldn't have this stupid ass life! Sans thought, his hands tightening into a fist as he thought about everything he saw each day, and every prior event. It was constantly a fight to survive in the underground. He just wanted to get his revenge on humankind to see how they would feel if they were forced to constantly kill just to make it in the world. Bet they couldn't handle it! He thought, snickering. He continued to follow the human until she made it to a bridge. Then he stepped out of the trees and snuck up behind it. As he got closer, he could tell it was a female. 

"Hey, kid." Sans said, smiling menacingly at the human female as he stretched his hand out. "Turn around and shake my hand." 

As the human turned around to face him, Sans felt a sudden tug at his soul. Although he had no idea what he was feeling, he suddenly felt as though he couldn't kill the human. Not yet.

Frisk

Frightened, Frisk stared at the skeleton who had just came up behind her. His hand was sticking out, so she quickly gave it a shake and let go. The look on his face changed from menacing to slightly startled within a couple of heartbeats. She grew puzzled when he didn't say anything for a while.

"Wh-who are you?" Frisk dared to ask after a moment of awkward silence.

Sans blinked and suddenly shook his head quite wildly with a growl. "Grr. Shut up kid! I'm supposed to be the one askin' questions here."

Frisk forced herself not to turn and run away screaming. I want to help these monsters. I shouldn't fear them if I want to help them. "Sorry." She apologized, taking a deep breath to calm herself. 

"Good." The skeleton said, nodding slowly. His eye sockets seemed to blaze as he looked her over. "Anyway, what the heck are you doing in the underground?"

Frisk hoped his voice wasn't shaking as she spoke. "I'm here to help you guys."

Sans stared at her for a moment, then barked a laugh. His shoulders shook as he continued to laugh manically, which made Frisk quite a bit paranoid. 

Oh dear. This is going to be impossible, isn't it? 

Sans

Sans stopped laughing and faced the human again. "Help us, eh? Haven't you heard the motto 'kill or be killed', human?"

The human lifted her chin and looked him in the eye. "Yes." She replied firmly. "And I don't believe in it."

Sans snorted. "Kid, you're only goin' to get yourself into trouble runnin' around saying dumb crap like that, y'know?" He shook his head and scoffed. 

The human looked a bit upset at that. "I-I need to help everyone underground...i-it's what I've been told to do in my dreams every time I sleep." She averted her gaze.

Sans wondered what it was that changed how he felt about killing the human. It had been his dream since he was young to kill a human and avenge the monsters. To avenge himself. But now he couldn't imagine striking down the human he just met. He wanted to smack himself for being so dumb and weak. 

"Huh. How pathetic." Sans commented, looking away from the human. "Anyway, the name's Sans." 

"Nice to meet you Sans!" The human replied cheerfully. "My name's Frisk!"

Ugh! Why is she being so friendly? Sans wondered, his fingers twitching. He curled them into a fist, glaring at Frisk. Her black-and-red sweater was pretty neat. Was that what was stopping Sans from killing her?

"You shouldn't say crap like that here." Sans told her. "That kinda attitude...isn't welcome."

Frisk nodded slowly. "Okay. Well, um, sorry Sans." She looked at her feet almost shyly. "What should I-"

Before she could finish her sentence, a loud voice shouted through the woods.

"SANS! YOU BETTER NOT BE SLEEPING! OR I WILL WISH YOU HAD NEVER EXISTED!"