Epilogue: years later

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mark Murray!" the host announced.

I began to walk on stage.

"Good luck Mark," Chris said giving me a thumbs up.

I gave him a thumbs up back and continued walking. My wife is standing just offstage when she grabs and kisses me on the cheek.

"Just have fun, Mark."

"I will. I love you, Fiona," I say.

With that I walk onstage to the cheering of thousands of people. Nobody heard the words I said to her before I walked on. The same as how I couldn't see the faces of my fans that were blocked out by the lights, but I knew my mom was in the front row holding onto dad's wheelchair yelling encouragement together that they knew I couldn't hear. I knew Eddie and Riley Jay were there too, their daughter Morgan asleep at home. Our daughter Angela was hopefully asleep by now with Fiona's parents. 

I thought about how lucky I was out of all my old band mates and friends. Alex was probably handling the press right now. Danny and Shauna broke up a few years ago, but now Danny is married to Rem. Shane helps co-write many of my songs for my concerts, and he loves his job. I don't get to talk to many of my friends from school anymore, but I try my best to keep up with them when I have time.

"Hello, everybody! Don't know why you all showed up to hear me play, but since you're here might as well listen!" I say jokingly to my audience.

The crowd laughs and cheers again as I start to play my guitar with Shane and the other musicians backing me up. I remember how much work it took to get here today, and know that I would never want it any other way.