Part 25: Home is Gone

Playing guitar is fun to play for hours when you want to, but when you play for an hour for a job it almost ruins it. I packed up my guitar in its case while completely exhausted. It was still a fun experience, yet I think I'll feel more dread at my next gig.

Fiona went home after we finished our second song of the night, and I planned on going home soon too. It would be hard to wake up for my first class tomorrow morning if I didn't get home soon. Danny was grabbing our earnings for the gig before we left, and the rest of stayed in the quiet back stage area and waited. We decided to use the back entrance to leave instead of walking through the crowded nightclub. I wish we had known about it before we had come here.

"Ugh, my voice is so sore," Shauna complained.

"We'll blame Danny for having us practice for so long yesterday," Rem comforted. "Or we could blame Mark for the fun of it."

I smirked. "You wish you could blame me."

"Shane and Danny get all the easy work. Mark and I both have calluses on our hands from the strings and Shauna has a sore voice!" Rem teased.

"As a matter of fact I spent countless hours practicing since I was a kid," Shane defended taking her words seriously.

"You know she was kidding with you, Shane; right?" I said with a smirk.

"Sorry. It's late."

"Oh, is someone tired?" Rem teased again as Danny walked in.

"You're all tired? Great! Maybe you won't remember when I take half of your earnings," Danny joked. We all laughed as we walked out the exit.

After we split up we followed each other back to the campus in our cars. It wasn't a long trip, but I could feel myself becoming more drowsy the closer we got to the campus. When I came back to my dorm, Tommy was already asleep; which was surprising since he usually doesn't even come back to our room until late. Then I realized how late it was. I slipped off my shoes and stared at the ceiling. It wasn't long until I fell asleep.

"Beep! Beep! Beep!" my alarm blared. When I woke up Tommy was gone. I smacked the off button of my alarm, and sat myself upright. I was still wearing the same clothes that I had on last night. Realizing that I hadn't showered either I headed for the bathroom.

As I got out of the shower I heard the familiar 'ding!' of my cell phone go off. Drying off my hands with the towel, I reached for my phone. It was a message from my parents.

Hi Honey! I hope you're having fun at college and you're taking care of yourself. I just wanted to let you know that your dad and I are selling the house. I'm sorry. You worked so hard in high school to keep it, but your dad has a hard time maneuvering around some parts of the house and using the stairs so we sold it. We have a moving van coming in tomorrow and we would like you to come home to help us with your stuff. We also would like you to visit too. Don't be too mad please.

I sighed. I was relieved that they were still able to afford the house without me, yet I knew they would end up moving. The upstairs was almost useless to my parents after my dad's accident, and I'm surprised they kept it this long. I would still miss home, but it was becoming more distant of a home by the day as I grew more independent from my parents.

I left a quick text for my parents.

Okay. I'll be there to help, but I might be there later.

As I got dressed I thought about how they must feel to leave the first house they ever owned together. I realized it was probably much harder for them than it would ever be for me. Gathering up my things and my room key I got ready to leave for my first class of the day, and I hoped my parents would be alright.