Part 6: Fiona

I woke up to find my arms too sore from work to move them. As I was attempting to stretch them, my phone dinged; indicating I had a text message. It was from Eddie. I reached for my phone wincing slightly as the pain burned through my arm. I picked up my phone and read his message.

Sorry. Won't be at school today. I have a doctor's appointment and won't be back in time for school.

The sentences were short and choppy, fitting Eddie's writing style. I responded with a quick OK, and grabbed my stuff for school. It was raining this morning and I was expecting a ride from Eddie's dad like always, so when I got his message it threw off my whole morning. Grabbing an umbrella and my jacket I was soon out the door.

I was already to late to catch the bus, since I had waited for Eddie, so I ran about halfway to school to make up for the lost time. By the time I made it into town I was out of breath. It turns out trying to run a mile with an umbrella over your head, isn't very fun!

None of the shops looked particularly busy today. As I walked down the sidewalk beside Jason's Guitar Store, the door flung open and a girl ran out.

"Hey!" she said running up underneath my umbrella. "Mind if I walk with you? I didn't bring an umbrella."

"Sure," I said quizzically.

It was the same girl I saw at the store on Saturday. She wore the same clothes and also had her guitar bag slung across her back. Though she had only run a few feet her hair was soaked.

"I'm sorry. Who are you?" I asked.

"Fiona. You're Mark right? Jason told me to catch up to you and you'd help me out. Thank you."

"Nice to meet you Fiona. It's not really a problem. You're the one who was playing the guitar on Saturday, right?"

"Yep, that was me," she said proudly. "I go there every day actually."

She talked really quickly, and every time she said something she always added something else.

"How long have you been playing?"

"Oh," she said pretending to think. "Twelve years. Pretty much as soon as I could walk."

By this time I could see our school. I realized that she must go to school here since she walked the whole way here with me.

"What grade are you in?" I asked.

"I'm a senior. And you?"

"I'm a junior."

"Wait, really! No wonder I never see you in any of my classes! I honestly thought you were a senior," she said surprised.

I rolled my eyes. This happened more often than I liked, since my face looked more mature than most kids his age. It also helped that I mostly kept to myself.

"Hey, it's an honest mistake!" she huffed.

"I know. It's just funny," I joked with a smile.

I could see the brick walls and the red streaks of our school now. The glass windows reflected the sun creating a glare on the glass. I put my umbrella in the side pocket of my army green backbag.

"Hey, nice talking to you!" she grinned as she ran toward the door.

At this time the bell rang signaling to be in your first class. I realized I would have to sprint to make it to class on time, and began to chase after her. Fiona went the opposite direction when I entered the school. I had to drop my bag off at my locker before the late bell rang, not giving me much time to walk around.

I made it to my first period class on time, and after that my day ran smoothly. As I was heading to track, as I wasn't able to quit, I walked past the band room. As I walked past I recognized the familiar sound of the guitar. I peaked in to find Fiona in the room alone. I couldn't tell what song she was playing or if she was playing one. She was wearing headphones so it was likely she didn't want to be disturbed. I watched her for a little before I went to track. Her guitar ability was amazing.