Part 33: Shades of Blue

My face felt hot and I no longer could hear the conversation the two of them were having. My mind went into shock when she said, "Mark's girlfriend."

"Mark? Mark!" Fiona called waving her hand in front of my face.

"Sorry. I was... I'm fine."

"Marie asked if she could help you with anything."

"Oh, no thank you, Marie," I replied to her question. "We're just looking."

"Alright. Just let me know if anything comes up!" she smiled drifting behind the counter.

I was totally being made fun of; and I wasn't sure if Fiona noticed when I dazed out, but Marie definitely noticed. She looked like she might burst out laughing at any second. Either that or that was her normal expression.

"There are so many different plants here!" Fiona exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah, it's just like it was when I was a kid!"

The shop hadn't changed much, other than it's location (Lucky for me; otherwise this trip might not have been worth it.). The trees in the shop were relatively close to each other to assist pollination, but were given enough room to grow without the other plants suffocation them. Lights hung from the ceiling to make sure every plant got enough sunlight. As we walked around I realized the growing methods and rates were roughly the same in sections.

Fiona continued to entertain herself by smelling the flowers and telling me she was going to dye her hair the same color. Teasing her a little for every flower colored choice she made, I continued to play my little game of trying to match her eyes to objects and plants.

"Oooo, this one matches my eyes! I'm totally gonna dye my hair this color!" Fiona announced.

"Let me see." I crouched down to eye level then closely examined her eyes and the Rose of Sharon she had found. "Their almost exactly the same!"

"I kno..." she started before realizing how close we were.

"Sorry," we both quickly apologized and backed away.

She placed the flower back on the shelf.

"Alright, we should probably go."

"Yeah," I replied awkwardly.

As we were headed out the door an idea popped into my head, and I asked Fiona to wait outside for me as I went back inside to grab the Rose of Sharon asking Marie to turn it into a bouquet. She smiled and wished me good luck after I paid her.

I opened the door with my right hand and in my left I held the bouquet behind my back. Fiona, standing right outside, was about to say something, then noticed I was hiding something.

"Watcha got there?" she asked, eyeing my left hand suspiciously.

I pulled the bouquet out from behind me, and offered it to her.

"I got these for you. I was looking at everything blue on our way here, and when you said they matched your eyes I wanted to get them for you."

She was awestruck and surprised. It was her turn to be shocked, and as I continued to hold the flowers in front of her she just stood there. As I was about to say something she took the flowers, paused, and gave me a hug.

"Thank you. That was so sweet."

I smiled, but I didn't reply; I just enjoyed the moment in silence holding her close. It was an amazing feeling, and I wasn't upset when it was over (I mean we couldn't stand there all day!); although I definitely wished it had lasted longer. For a moment I didn't feel insecure, nervous, or awkward around her. It was just her, me, and a gift of flowers standing in front of a coffee shop happier than ever.

"I'll take you home. Let's go," I said smiling wider than I ever thought I could. (Seriously it was almost painful, but I couldn't stop!)

"Alright," she said smiling just as wide.

I was glad I didn't ruin our first date. She was obviously happy with how things went, and I felt my insecurities and worries melt away.  

As we drove home my phone dinged, but I didn't check to see who it was. Fiona didn't seem to pay any attention to it either, so we both drove home smiling.