Part 28: Alex

Well-dressed was an understatement. He was dressed like a famous actor in a full tuxedo, and his hair trimmed short on the sides and longer on the top brushed toward the back of his head. His eyes were hazel colored and his face was chiseled to perfection. The rest of his body was narrow and didn't boast any muscular strength.

 The lights at the club flashed across his face as he talked to Danny, and I wondered how they knew him. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, as I was standing behind all of them, when suddenly Shane and Danny gestured my way. Alex's eyes followed their gestures and met my eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Mark," their friend greeted as he reached out his hand formally. It was a business like handshake that didn't feel quite right in this situation.

"Nice to meet you too..." I began before I realized I didn't know his name.

"Alex. I was the old guitarist for your band before I graduated," he said awkwardly as he dropped his more business like side.

"They mentioned you a few times to me when I first joined, so it's nice to finally meet you."

"I can't believe they accepted a freshman like you to join them when they will be graduating at the end of the year."

Shane cut in here complaining that, "We didn't have any other options and he was really good anyways."

"Yeah, and he might be able to keep the band going after we graduate!" Danny added.

"I doubt that," Alex stated confidently.

"Why?" everyone asked simultaneously just as confused as me.

"Well, I have an offer Mark can't possibly refuse."

"Yeah, what is it?" I queried.

He pulled out a familiar looking business card out of his pocket, dawning a golden sheep on the right. Written over the sparkling sheep were the words Golden Fleece, and the rest of the card was filled with contact information from the company.

"Well, I guess it's not much of an offer, but more of a chance to get into the music industry. I was recording most of the bands, musicians, and singers that brought an interest to me, and I plan to show yours to my superior and see what I can do for you," he explained as he offered the card.

As he handed me the card I exclaimed, "You work for Golden Fleece!"

"Yes, I'm one of their newer business managers. I really just got lucky that they're a rising music company and they needed someone with my accounting degree to help them out. It even pays really well. I'm actually don't have a specific client yet so I was looking for someone to fill the position."

"We'll understand if you take this offer. Honestly we all would take it if we were given the chance. It just bothers me that one of my closest friends wouldn't offer it to me!" Danny miffed.

"Come on, Danny! You know you don't have that kind of talent yet. I was honestly really surprised to see you guys here in general," Alex insulted with a sarcastic tone.

Danny looked disappointed, but he already knew it.

I thought my options over, and realized I had no reason to decline. I didn't have to take care of my family anymore, and they had just moved to a cheaper, safer home. My dream was within reach, yet it didn't feel real. I didn't have to pinch myself to check if I was dreaming, because my fingers were still hurting from the blisters on my fingers.

"I accept your offer," I said with more of a business tone than I would have liked to use.

"Awesome. Although there is no guarantee I'll get to be your business manager, I should get prioritized over the others since I brought you in. That is if you make it through auditions."

"Wow, Mark movin' up in the world!" Rem joked.

"I'll let you know when the auditions are if I can get you in. Hopefully we can get one of our personal managers to take you in. We only have three open so fingers crossed," Alex hoped.

"Come on, guys. Let's sit down and continue this conversation over some drinks!" Shane shouted.

"Ummm. I don't drink," I stated.

"We'll the freshmen a juice then!" Rem offered excitedly. It was going to be a late night.