Part 13: Aftereffects

My entire lifestyle changed after that competition. I hadn't realized the impact that winning the talent show would have on my life. Before I was barely noticed by my teachers and classmates, and now I have people trying to talk to me in the hallways and people try to sit with Eddie and I at lunch. I don't mind people knowing I exist, but I miss when Eddie and I just hung out.

Riley Homes was actually one of the people that joined us. Riley added a lot of color to our table with her light pink hair. Her hair color earned her the nickname, Candy. She was rather talkative, but she wasn't so social before she came to our table. She always spent her time drawing and painting, so much so that her white shirt was stained with paint.

"That's amazing, Candy!" Eddie shouted, as he looked at Candy's painting of a gardenia.

"He's right, Candy. You never fail to amaze me," Mike said examining her painting.

Mike is Candy's boyfriend and joined our table after the show. Mike was a black haired, senior football player. Since he didn't get a scholarship for football, Mike decided to pursue a life in electrical engineering. He had wanted to go to medical school to be a physical therapist, but his family didn't have the money.

"What are you gonna do after track districts are over, Eddie," I asked.

"I'm gonna get ready for baseball!" he joked, but I knew he was serious. Eddie was definitely an athletic freak.

A few other people, including Fiona and her friends, joined our table, but I didn't know all their names as of yet. Most of them talked to each other and ignored us.

My parents haven't found out that I entered the contest, or won even though it's been a week. I hid the trophy in my closet, where they wouldn't find it. The rule against using phones during the show saved me from being caught on social media. If it had been recorded, my parents definitely would have found out by now. I don't know how they would react if they found out.

Fiona still gives me guitar lessons on the weekends, although I mostly practice on my own for an hour or more. I even stopped by at Jason's to make sure I had everything correct. He gave me a few drills to practice at home, and I've continued doing them every night.

After school I walked home alone, because Eddie had his district track meet. Shortly after arriving home the phone rang.

"Hello, Murphy's," I assured the caller that they called the right place.

"Hey, Mark. Did you enter a talent show?" the caller asked. I knew that voice was my mother's. She somehow found out about the competition.

"Yeah, I did," I sighed knowing there was no denying it now.

"I thought so. I met Mrs. Myers on my way to the office this morning, and she showed me a video of you singing."

Someone had recorded my performance during the show secretly. I don't know how none of the teachers caught them.

"You did really well. How come you didn't tell me that you participated?" she asked.

I felt bad now that I knew that she wasn't upset, but dad might be though.

"I was worried you guys wouldn't let me," I replied.

"Maybe your father wouldn't have, but I watched you practice before and I would have let you."

"Can you make sure he won't be mad at me?"

"I can try if you promise to tell him yourself."

"Thanks, mom. See ya when you get home!"

"Bye, Mark."

I hung up. That had gone a lot better than I had expected it to. I went up into my room and took the trophy out of my closet. I placed it on my desk so that my parents could see it and it wouldn't be in the way. I hadn't realized how tense I felt trying to hide my victory from my parents until now. I sat down and looked at the trophy a bit closer. It was made of plastic and had our school logo on top of the gold and blue painted stand. The base had a plaque stating the year of the talent show it was handed out.

I heard the door open downstairs, and prepared myself for the awkward conversation that was to come.