Dedicated Chapter 31 (part 1):

Thirty minutes earlier

-LEVI-

"...much favor to me! I'll even cut off your bill later by half!" Mister Reeves blurted out.

"Okay, thank you." I stated plainly with a nod.

He gave a tap on my shoulder and left. I dragged myself towards the private counter. I was greeted by Jan with a smile.

"Boss Reeves already told me. This spot's all yours for tonight-"

"And he said the bill be cut by half."

"I heard, I heard. Okay? Now what you want first?" He crossed his arms.

"Not so fast. I'm waiting for someone."

He stared at me agape.

"A girl?" I nodded.

"Finally! Freaking finally! I thought you'll never flirt again, ever."

"Jan, I'm not flirting. We will only have a talk."

I sounded a little off, saying that.

"Psh- In denial... By the way, how's Isabel and Farlan? Are they gonna visit here again?"

"Those smoochers are still busy with renovating. I don't know when do they plan to go here. But you know you're invited to the wedding, right?"

"Of course. Though it's still far off." He shrugged.

While waiting for Hanji, Jan and I talked about our other playmates back from the village when we were kids. Trying to recall their names and faces and how they are doing now. We obviously did not notice the fast passing of time.

It's 9 in the evening now. Four Eyes will be here anytime soon.

In the meantime, I asked Jan to prepare something light so Hanji can have it readily.

"We'll have this section for ourselves?"

I turned to see this girl I will be talking with. I eyed her. This girl...

Jan was about to hand the drink to Hanji but I lightly raised a hand and shook my head lightly. I suddenly had a gut not to make this girl get drunk so fast. I faced Hanji once more.

We are not partying, you-

"Four Eyes, this is a bar not a club."

I realized that I voiced out my thought and I received rolling eyes for it.

---

With Jan being out and the drinks in a row, Hanji started blabbering nonsuch nonsense on how we will do things.

"We each have three glasses, okay. I asked Mister Jan to only do a weak mixture."

"What do you want to imply with that? Just go straight to the point."

She lightly slashed her finger on the row of drinks.

"Since we'll have the weak booze first, let's talk first about casual topics? Even better, basic introduction. Let's pretend this is a first meeting. Then after that, we talk more about ourselves as we finish this row."

"Don't we already know enough? I know your name, you know mine; occupation, birthday, address. It sounds-"

"Just get along with it. I'm the expert here. Buy by the way, speaking of first meeting... I find it odd, you know." She tapped the counter lightly.