Chapter Twenty Four

They had made it to the restaurant that his dad suggested, and found a table. Emre was on his way to meet them there. He felt there was something that his dad was holding back, like he wasn't quite ready to talk about it yet. The conversation was pleasant, and Sanem had his dad full attention with her stories about her childhood. " My dear, give me your fathers phone number and I  will call to make arrangements for a meeting with them." He stated. " I would like to meet them alone first, then we'll set up a time for a proposal. " Can, have you told them of your intentions?" He asked, looking intently at his son. Can smiled, " Yes dad , I went for dinner last week and told them you would be calling them when you got back to town." He told him. His dad smiled and shook his head, " Every well son, I'll take care of it from here then." He said, winking at Sanem. 

Aziz had a feeling that Deren must have been jealous of Sanem, because he couldn't find a single thing about her that would have caused such trouble. She was absolutely delightful, and his son was completely in love with her, what more could a father want for their sons. Can stood quickly,  and waved Emre their way, " Here Emre," he stated, " Glad you could make it."  Can said. Emre gave him a hug, as well as his dad, but just patted Sanem on the shoulder as he sat down on the other side of his brother. " Well, what did I miss, or have you just been discussing me." He said jokingly, slapping his brother on the back. Can frowned, " No, we have better things to talk about, like our upcoming marriage." He said, reaching for Sanem's hand. Emre could see that he was determined to go through with this, he had hoped that their dad would be able to talk him out of it. " Ah, yes," he said, " Dad, what do you think about that." Emre asked, eyeing his dad. Sanem felt the warm glow of embarrassment creep up from her neck, she knew that Emre didn't care for her much, but would he try and influence their dad against her. " Well, I think your brother has found a perfect woman, the one for him, so for that I'm very grateful." He stated, looking at Sanem and smiling. She returned the smile, the whole situation had made her nervous so she excused herself to go freshen up. Can and Aziz quickly stood, as she left the table. Can immediately turned to Emre, " Emre, please me respectful of her, that was an unnecessary comment." He said, shooting a look of disgust at him. " What, I didn't say anything wrong, I just wanted dad's opinion, that's all." Emre said shrugging his shoulders.

Sanem looked in the mirror, " What are you doing here, it plain to see you don't fit in." She said to herself in the mirror. " Emre is out to discredit everything about you, you know that don't you." She explained out loud. She tried to regain some sort of composure before returning to the table. She smiled at herself in the mirror, " Be confident, the only one you need to worry about is Can, he's the one you love, so show it." She stated, standing straight and lifting her head, she walked back to the table. Can smiled, as she sat down, " Let's order, then there something we need to talk to you about." Can said, gazing at Sanem. Aziz could feel the anticipation and was anxious to know what was going on. They quickly placed the order, and Aziz looked at Can, " Ok son, what do you need to talk about, if it's about the marriage, I'm sure everything will work out fine." He replied. Can took Sanem's hand, " No, not entirely," he said, " I have received a job offer from the magazine I used to work for, they want me to photograph a place in Peru." Machu Picchu in fact, for a special edition of exotic places. The experience will be tremendous and we can take that time for our honeymoon also." He stated smiling at Sanem. Aziz was shocked, but knew what was coming next, " So you will be leaving for an assignment, and you're taking Sanem with you, is that what your saying." He asked, eyeing his son. 

Deren was pacing the floor, waiting for Aziz to return from lunch. She hoped he had looked over the file and agreed with her that Sanem had to go. Maybe if his dad took her side, then he would come to his senses too. She was glad he had returned from  his vacation, she needed someone besides Emre to help her. As the three returned from lunch, she hurried to her office to wait for him. They went straight to his office, " I will call your parents now, the sooner we get this thing started, the sooner the wedding." Then the two of you can be on your way to that special honeymoon in that exotic place." He stated, smiling from ear to ear. Can hugged his dad, " Ok, thanks for understanding, now I hope her parents will understand as well." Can said, feeling the nerves. His dad looked in his eyes, " Son, this Is your life and Sanem's, you will find your way together. Just go and talk to them, they will see how happy you two are and not stand in your way."  He hugged Sanem and went to call. She linked her arm in his, " Well, that's one down, and two to go." She said, laughing. Can hung his head, " Yes, what do your think your parents will say? Will they agree." He asked, almost in a whisper. Sanem looked in his eyes with such desire it made him weak, " My love, I will marry you and follow you wherever you want to go, you can be sure of that. My heart is with yours, forever." She said, stroking his beard. 

The time was set, Aziz would go to the Aydins at 7:00 that evening. He knew they were a traditional family, and things were done a little differently. But he also had seen their love and was in awe of it. He would do what ever it took for them to be happy. With that task out of the way, he went to the spare office to look at the file Deren had given him. What could she have on Sanem that would cause her to dislike her so, he wondered. It took him a good while to read the lengthy file, most of which was meaningless jibber, and actually had nothing to do with her work ability. In his head he knew Deren had always had feelings for Can, but he never thought she would go so far as to create things against Sanem. Aziz knew he would need to address this with her, but should he tell Can and Sanem about the file. Can had already made up his mind to leave the office and return to photography, so it may not be an issue, but they both had the right to know.

Deren was in her office, looking over a file, Aziz tapped on the door. She smiled and motioned him to come in, " Azizbey, I'm glad you're back, have you had a chance to look at the file I gave you? She asked, almost bubbling. He sat down, " Deren, you know you're like a daughter to me, and would do anything for you, but what you have in that file is nothing that I could consider relevant to her inability to perform her work tasks. It is honestly a lot of meaningless accusations." Aziz said, firmly. " I think you have a personal issue with Sanem, and you are making a lot out of nothing. Deren huffed, " Absolutely not, I don't have a personal problem  with her, I just want her to do her job, and stop her incessant flirting with Can. It's almost embarrassing at the lengths she has gone, just for Can to notice her." She piped, losing a bit of her control as she talked to him. 

Aziz stood, "Well, then you might be happy to know that it looks like Sanem will be leaving her position her at the agency." He spouted with confidence. " I can tell you, if she wasn't making that decision, it might just be you leaving." I believe that you have over stepped you boundaries, and I hope that you don't do that again." He said glaring at her. 

Her eyes were wide...." But Azizbey, I have always had the agency's best interest at heart, and I would never do anything to hurt the company. 

" I have always felt that way before, but you have shown a new side to you, one that would deliberately hurt someone for your own gain."  

"And that someone, will soon become my daughter.........