Chapter Twenty One

Nihat looked sternly at his daughter, " Tell me the truth, we're you both intended for others when you met, and did you both break the marriage agreement?" He asked, his eyes demanding the truth. She wanted to look away from his glare, but she couldn't, she had to confront him.             " No, dad, Can was not engaged when he came here to run the business for his father. He had already parted with her, in fact sometime before that." She stated. " He had told me they were not that serious, though they were together for a long time, they only saw each other a couple of times a year." She explained, hoping to appease her fathers questions. Her dad nodded, " Well, that is something I will have to ask him myself," Nihat said, he wanted to see his eyes when he answered. " If what you say is true, and it was only us that refused your union, then we have already made our justification for that." He stated, beginning to see what type of person Adin was. He was glad he had supported his daughter and confirmed the dissolve of their promise to marry. But if she had caused the dissolution of his engagement, they would be shamed again, in the eyes of the neighborhood. 

Adin was quite pleased at the evenings turn of events. Sanem being home had been a added bonus, making her to be the one to tell them. He knew everything he had on Can Divit was trivial and the picture had been from a few years back, but just the implications of it all would be enough to place doubt in their minds. He knew all of their traditional ways and what would make them put a stop to Can and Sanem relationship. He hoped that Can would come to confront him about it, that would be the icing on the cake. A little fight or tussle with him could prove to them the kind of person that this man really was. His dad finding out would be far worse than Can finding out, or so he thought. Sanem shouldn't have left him for Can Divit, and he would make her pay for it.

As soon as his dad went to bed he went to his room and called Sanem, " Hello my love, sorry it has taken me so long to call, but we were doing some catching up." He said. Sanem still upset, tried to hide it, " I'm glad you all had this time to visit, and what did he say about your news." She asked, ready to hear something good. " My dad couldn't be happier, and he can't wait to meet you, so I thought tomorrow, at the office would be the perfect time." He exclaimed, knowing he was one step closer to getting what he wanted. But he wasn't hearing the voice of excitement he thought he would, " Sanem, is there something wrong, you don't seem excited about it." He asked, with concern. " No, Can, I'm excited. I guess I'm just a little tired." She said, trying to be convincing. He knew immediately she wasn't telling him everything, " Sanem tell me what's wrong..please don't keep anything from me." He begged. She sighed, " Adin paid a visit to my parents tonight, he thought it was his obligation to tell them that you weren't the person they thought." She spouted, still disgusted with what he said. " So I had to explain to them the picture and your past relationship with Polen.  My dad wasn't very happy about it, but he wants to talk to you." She stated. Can was furious, " Sanem I need to talk to this Adin, I will set him straight, I'm not going to let him ruin this for us." He spewed, feeling the panic rise in him. 

Sanem knew that's what Adin wanted, for Can to confront him. But it might be the worst thing that could happen, she knew Can had a temper and Adin was vindictive. She assured him she had smooth things over with her parents and thing s would be fine. She changed the subject,             " Are you picking me up tomorrow, what time, I miss you." She said. He smiled, " Yes, I'm picking you up, I will be there by 8:00, so we can stop for some bagels on the way." He said, " And  I miss you too, more than you know." He whispered. She blushed, " Can, I love you and I want things to be ok, so let's not cause trouble if we can keep from it." Let Adin talk, as long as my parents believe us then that's all that matters." She said softly. They both agreed and said their good nights. Her mind was on meeting Cans dad and making a good impression, she knew that Emre didn't like her much, so she needed to Wow his dad. 

She was up early the next morning, trying to pick out the best outfit. She chose a black skirt, and a red top with an off the shoulder neckline, and ankle boots. She wanted to look office appropriate, she didn't want to give Ms. Deren anymore to complain about. She was ready before 8:00, and was waiting patiently, when she heard the knock on the door. " He's here, she thought, rushing down stairs, as her mother opened the door. Her mom was happy to see him,        " Can, come in, do you have time for tea," she asked. He was apologizing for their need to hurry off, when her dad came in from the kitchen, " Can, I would like it if we could have a talk, it shouldn't take long." Nihat stated, motioning him to the kitchen. Can knew he would have to do as he wanted, " Yes, what ever you want, Mr. Aydin, I can make the time." He said, not sure if he was ready or not. Nihat was straight forward in asking Can about the accusations that Adin had made and Can was quick to answer, " I can assure you that I was not engaged to my former girlfriend, we had a longtime relationship, but the time we spent together was short." He said,            " We only saw each other a few times a year, and that was mainly due to my job." He explained.   " She had her job in London and I had my job wherever it took me, I wasn't committed to her In any way.  I ended things with her about 2 months before I came here to see my dad." He stated, hoping he had explained enough to him. Nihat shook his head, " I accept you explanation, and I'm sorry I had to ask, but he did give us reason to doubt your situation."  Thank you Mr. Aydin, I hope I've been able to put your mind at ease about that subject." Can said, reaching out his hand to shake Nihat's. " You can trust me, I wouldn't do any thing to hurt Sanem, ever." He said, vowing it to be the truth.

Sanem's was nervous waiting for Can, but she knew he dad would be fair. Can meet her back at the door, ready to go, " Mrs.Aydin, thank you for the invitation for tea, and if it's alright with you I would love to come another time." He said, smiling that killer smile he has. " My dad will be calling you to set up a time to visit, if that's ok with the two of you." He said, " It might be as soon as Saturday." He added. Her mom smiled, gave him a quick hug and said, " We will be waiting for the call, and Saturday would be fine." She said, looking at Sanem, and giving her a wink. 

Sanem's heart was full, she couldn't have been happier. Her dreams were coming true, to spite the interference of Adin and Polen.....

She was going to be Mrs. Can Divit, the person she dreamed to be....

And she was loving the person she was born to love.......