Chapter Four

Mevkibe and Nihat sat alone at the dinner table, Sanem and Leila hadn't come down for dinner yet. Mevkibe studied her husbands face, seeing the tension still there from the  night before, she knew she has to tread lightly on the subject. " Nihat, my dear, Sanem tells me there is a man at the agency she has become fond of and would like for us to meet him, what do you think." She asked gently, holding her breath for his answer. Nihat closed his eyes, " So what Adin says is true, she did refuse to marry because of her infatuation with someone at that workplace." He asked with fury in his voice. Mevkibe explained, " My dear husband, I don't think that Adin was right for Sanem, I was seeing that with his actions towards her lately, just because he wanted to marry doesn't mean they should." She spoke softly, trying to ease the tension. Nihat asked, " Who is this man from their office, and how did she get involved with him, you know this makes our family look untrustworthy in the eyes of our neighborhood." He stated, shifting his eyes to his wife. " These matters of acceptance in who is chosen for marriage, was your responsibility as a mother to instill in our daughters." He spouted. " This is the tradition in which we live, and I don't expect these traditions to be broken by any member of my family." Those words stung her heart, she loved her husband with all of her heart, but what he believed in, sometimes wasn't realistic. 

Leila sat, listening to her sister tell her how Can and her were in love, and he was waiting for her at his cabin. She couldn't believe it, Canbey and her sister. She knew everyone was gossiping about them but she didn't take any of it seriously, that's just the way that office was, always talking......" Sanem, how did this happen, I mean, how did you get so close so fast." She quizzed her, still astonished at what she was hearing. " Abla, I can't even explain," she said, tilting her head back and closing her eyes, " It was like a dream, we met the night of the party." She told her, " It was dark, so dark I couldn't see a thing, I went into the wrong room and stumbled on the stairs." Sanem said, reliving that instant as if it  just happening. She smiled, looking at her sister,      " And there he was, Can, he caught me, of course I didn't see who he was, be the feeling from his touch felt like an electrical shock." It was almost like we couldn't separate, we were fused together. Sanem sighed, " Abla, it was the most wonderful thing I have ever felt I my life." Leila was in awe, just the description of that night brought chills to her, she had never encountered someone like that before, but her dreams were of Emre, and what she wouldn't do for a chance for them to touch like that.

The light of the day had gone away, as Can sat quietly by the fire. " He had lost her before he really even had her. " His heart cried, staring into the fire. They had forbid her to come to him, or she had changed her mind, he wasn't sure which to believe, but the ache inside him was more than he could bear. As the minutes ticked away, quickly turning into hours, he watched the fire slowly burn to embers. There was nothing left for him to do, nothing left for him there. He had promised his dad he would stay until he came back, but this hurt had broke him. She had refused him, chose her  traditional ways over him.....he couldn't stay.  It was late, but he had to go, there was no sleeping for him, just pack up the few things he had there and leave. Everything there reminded him of her. She had left her mark on all that was in front of him and his heart  couldn't stand it. 

Her dad had been hard to convince, but he had finally consented to at least meet Can. There would be no talk of a relationship or marriage, he would just meet him, that was it. Sanem knew the road would be a hard one, especially when her dad found out that Can was her boss. But one step at a time, that was what she was determined to do. Just let them see what a caring person he was and the rest would come, she was sure of it. The time was slipping away as they lounged in the living room, " Her parents never stayed up this late," she thought, especially on a week night."  But they lingered, even with her telling them goodnight and her and Leila going to their rooms. Leila knew she was up to something, as Sanem nervously paced back and forth in her room. She wanted to call him but didn't want to risk her parents or Leila overhearing the call. Her sister knocked on the door, " Sanem, what's wrong with you, I can hear you over here." She whispered, trying not to alert her parents. Sanem didn't want to involve Leila in her plans, putting her in the position to have to lie to their parents, " Oh nothing, just thinking, that's all." She stated, shifting her eyes away from hers. Sanem's plan was to scale out the window, using her bedsheets as a rope, and down to the street, as they had done many times before when they were younger. " It would be simple, if her parents ever went to bed." She fumbled around in her head, as Leila studied her. " Well don't think so loudly," her sister said, " I can hear you in my room, pacing back and forth."  

As Can took one last look at his cabin and let his mind remember her lying there with him on the blanket, he took his phone and called hers. It rang four times then went to voicemail, he left this message, " Sanem, have you made your decision, you're not coming?" Please call me." Then he sent a text, " My heart is breaking Sanem, I have waited  hours for you. Are you coming?" He would give her a little while longer, then he would know.....if she had she chosen him. What would he do if she didn't come, where would he go, everything seemed so empty without her.           " If she doesn't come, just take a plane to anywhere, wherever the next flight is going, take it." He thought, his head cluttered with thoughts of her. 

Sanem tied the sheets together, hoping they would hold her, she was quite a bit bigger than the last time she had done this. She took a jacket and searched for her phone, " What did I do with my phone," she wondered, looking around, finally she found it, under the bed, how did it get there". She thought. She dropped the rope of sheets out the window, listening for any sounds from the rest of the house, she crawled out and lowered herself to the ground below.  She found a taxi and jumped in, ready to get to the cabin, where Can was waiting. " He must be frantic," she thought as she grabbed her phone to call him. She saw she had two missed calls a voicemail and a text from Can. She listened to the voicemail, the sound of his voice broke her heart, but she was on her way to him. The text made her want to hurry even faster to get to him, she called his number, there was no answer. Her heart was in her throat, " What he must think," she said out loud as the taxi drove towards the cabin, " Did he think I wasn't coming?" But I am, I'm on my way.

She sent a text; " Can, I'm coming, I'm coming now, please wait for me".........send.