Chapter Fourteen

Sanem had changed three times, trying to get the right dress. Her nerves had gone overboard, she was ready to get this evening underway. Her dad was solemn, but he assured her he would be fair, and not judge him prematurely. She was running around behind her mom checking to make sure everything was going to be ok. Mevkibe put her hands on her shoulders, " Sanem, please calm down, I have cooked for company before, everything will be fine. " She said, smiling and patting Sanem's cheek. " Mom, I just want everything perfect, this is very important to me, and dad is scaring me, he looks so mean." She whispered so her dad wouldn't hear. Her  mom laughed, " He will be fine my daughter, trust me, all he wants is your happiness." She told her. But Sanem was worry about him finding out he was her boss, it wasn't going to be good. She was taking one last look around to make sure everything was perfect, when the bell rang. She was almost frozen in place, but Leila nudged her, " Sanem, answer the door, it's probably Canbey." She said. Sanem opened the door, and welcomed him in. He took one look at her at couldn't believe his eyes, " Sanem, you are beautiful my love, red really is your color." He said, breathlessly. Mevkibe was waiting for him as she let him in, " Welcome, come in Mr. Divit, we are pleased to have you." She said, with a smile. Nihat waited for him to come to the living room, standing he reached out his hand, " Mr.Divit, pleased to meet you, please make yourself comfortable." He said, motioning to the chair beside him. His face was solemn and stern, but his actions were cordial, so Can felt that things were going well. Leila offered tea or coffee, and of course he opted for tea. Sanem took a seat next to Can's chair, waiting for the father to open a conversation.

A few tense moments later, her dad asked, " So, Mr. Divit, what exactly do you do for a living, if I might ask?" Nihat said, cutting his eyes to look at him as he answered, " Well actually, I'm a photographer, I work for many agencies and humanitarian groups. Nihat was impressed, raising his eyebrows, " Is that right, that's sounds interesting." What exactly do you do, I mean what do you take pictures of,"  He asked. Can smiled, " I usually have an assignment, and a schedule to follow, and the subjects could be anything from a small remote village in the African jungle to documenting the workers in the tea fields in Sir Lanka. It just depends what the clients want. Nihat was astonished, such an interesting man, he thought. " So you travel a lot, and you've been to all those places you just described?  He asked. Sanem beamed, she was so happy, they were actually talking, and her dad was listening. This might turn out to be ok, she thought, breathing a sigh of relief. 

Can was a master at turning on the charm when he needed to, and this night was no exception. The dinner table became the place where he told the many stories of his travels, along with the funny stories that had her dad in stitches. Her and Leila exchanged looks of disbelief, as they moved back to the living room to have their tea. But the fact that Can was still her boss hadn't yet come in to play. Nihat had bombarded him with questions, eager to learn all about his job, " " So are you in between jobs now and thats why you re here," he asked, with sincerity. That was the question she had been dreading all night, but Can gave her a quick glance and proceeded to answer the question, " Well it's something like that, my father was in desperate need of a vacation, and my brother was unable to run the company alone, so I stayed to run the office while he was gone, it's strictly a temporary situation. He explained, flashing that smile that he was famous for. Mevkibe has entirely smitten with him, he had praised her food and ate so much, it made her happy. Sanem had a permanent smile on her face, the evening couldn't have gone any better. Nihat was so impressed, " What a good son, to take time out of your busy schedule to make sure your father had a vacation. He said, with much admiration.

The dinner had been a success, and it seemed that Can had passed the test. By the end of the evening they were both calling him Can, instead of Mr. Divit. As he stood to leave, he shook Nihat's hand, and gave Mevkibe a hug. Thanking them for the wonderful evening, Sanem escorted him to the door, both her parents insisting on him coming again soon for a visit or dinner. She stepped outside to tell him goodbye, " Can, I can't believe this evening went so well, I'm so happy I could kiss you on the mouth right here." She exclaimed, her eyes rimmed with tears of joy. He looked into her eyes, " See, I told you things would work out, never doubt me when I want something bad enough." He said with his eyes glowing with desire. She smiled and kissed him on both cheeks, she stepped back in the house and shut the door. Can stood there for a second, " Goodnight my love, he whispered to the closed door, " I love you." Sanem was leaning against the door, and heard him ever so slightly, she smiled, and whispered back, " I love you too." 

She walked to the kitchen to help her mom finish the cleaning. Both Mevkibe and Leila we're smiling. Her mom shook her head, " My daughter, I can definitely see why you are attracted to him, he is adorable." She said, giving Sanem a big hug. She agreed,saying, " I knew you both would love him, if you just gave him a chance, he's a wonderful person." She remarked, with love shining from her eyes like diamonds. Her mother told a serious tone, " Is it serious between the two of you, I mean, has he spoke of a future together with you." She asked, but she already knew the answer by the way her daughter was glowing. Sanem looked away from her mothers eyes, knowing they still had a couple of things to overcome before they could commit to marriage. Even though Can had already told her he wanted to spend the rest of their lives together, there was still the problem of Adin and Polen that lingered in her mind. 

Sanem's look changed, she went from that little girl, excited and happy, to a woman that was in love. 

" Yes mom, a future with Can is what I want. I feel complete with him, without him I am empty, without him my heart aches." Is that love momma, I don't know, but I know I have never felt these things before." She replied, almost in a whisper. She smiled slightly, " He makes me feel like I'm important, and I'm  his equal, not his possession. 

Her heart was so full and happy right now, their future was in sight and it was going to be fantastic......

This man was her real thing.....he was her heart and soul.......