Chapter Nineteen

As Sanem hurried to get ready the next morning, her phone alerted her to a text. She looked, seeing it was Can, she smiled, it read..." I will be there in 15 minutes, can't wait to see you" she squealed with delight, " He didn't forget what he had told Ms. Deren, he was going to be bringing her to work. She was ready and waiting by the time he pulled up. Mevkibe was at the door and waved as he pulled up. He quickly jumped out of the car and went to shake her hand. " Good morning, how are you." He said smiling. He immediately got to the subject, " My father will be in this evening from his vacation, and I was hoping we might come to visit on Saturday, if that's convenient for you, of course." He stated, barely able to contain his excitement. Mevkibe nodded, " I think that would be fine, we don't have any prior plans, but is this a formal visit or a casual visit." She asked. Can glanced at Sanem, " I think it is going to be a formal visit, but my father will call you on the morning and make all the plans, if that's the proper way to do this." He said, quite flustered by this time. Mevkibe smiled, " It is my son, just have your dad call and let us know what time to expect you and we will be ready." She said, giving him a look of acceptance. 

He helped Sanem into the car and they headed to work, he held her hand all the way to the agency, not wanting to let her go. As they entered and started to the coffee bar, Ms Deren had already spotted Sanem. " Sanem, I need you to come to my office please." She called out across the room. Sanem cringed, she knew she would have to answer for not getting the files done the day before. She nodded and quickly brewed the tea, she carried Cans to his office, on her way to Ms. Deren's. Can told her, " If she gives you any problem just come and get me, I'll take care of it." He stated, as he stroked her hair. She smiled, and nodded, she turned to leave as Emre came in, " Sanem, good morning, how are you?" He asked. She replied, " Emrebey, I'm fine, excuse me but Ms. Deren has called me to her office." And she ducked out the door. Emre looked at his brother, " Whats up Abi, you look upset, did you and Sanem argue? He asked, with a look of concern on his face. Can shook his head, " No, of course not, it's just Deren, she been harassing Sanem about everything she does, and it just makes me mad." He spouted, waving his hands about. " Are you sure about that, it doesn't sound like Deren, we've never had any problem with her like that  before." Emre said, ready to defend Deren. Can shot him a look, "Yes I'm sure, I witnessed it first hand, when Deren didn't know I was there, and she even told Sanem she was violating a company policy by flirting around with me." Can spewed.  "What policy, we don't have a policy like that." Emre replied. " Exactly," Can said, pointing his finger at Emre. Can paced the floor, " I don't want to get in the middle of it, but I will if I have to." He remarked. Emre thought it best to change the subject, " Well have you spoke to dad, when is he coming home?" He asked, anxious to hear. Can shook his head, " Yes, actually he will be home this evening, I pick him up at 6:40." He explained, with a smile. He motioned for Emre to set, " Emre, we are going to Sanem's on Saturday to propose, I'm asking for her hand and dad has to be there." Can revealed, beaming with joy. Emre was stunned, " Whoa Abi, are you sure, that's a big step, that's probably the biggest step, are you ready to take it?" He asked, not believing what he had just heard. 

Sanem tapped on the door of Ms. Deren's office, she motioned her to come in. On her desk was the stack of files that Sanem was to work on the day before. " Sanem I gave you a job to do yesterday, but it seems you have elected not to do it." She stated, boring her eyes into Sanem's. "All these things that you are doing are terminating offensives, I want you to know that." Deren said, leaning across her desk. Sanem saw the anger flying from her eyes, " Ms. Deren, I'm sorry, but something came up and I wasn't able to stay over last night, but I'm more than willing to take care of those files now." Sanem said with a smile, " It shouldn't take me very long," she said, as she reached for the files. " No," Deren yelled, holding up her hand, " it's to late now, this will just go into your file as another offense, along with the countless others I have on you." She barked at her. " That file is beginning to get dangerously close to being full, if you know what I mean." She spewed, with a slight grin on her face. Sanem could feel the heat in her face, she knew Deren was on the verge of firing her. She had known that this would happen when she left last night, so she had to accept what she was dealt. Sanem nodded, and asked if that was all, Deren smiled, her condescending smile, " Yes my dear, you can go,....oh, can you bring my coffee please, you have become very good at making the best coffee." Sanem started to the coffee bar, tears stinging her eyes, but she blinked them away, refusing to let that witch get to her again. 

She stayed away from Deren the remainder of the  morning, focusing on helping the other people in the office. Deren hadn't bothered to ask her for anything, she was definitely picking her battles, when it came to Sanem. But she watched her carefully, ready to reprimand her in an instant. Sanem was busy filing when Can opened his door and called her name, " Sanem, are you ready for tea, bring us a cup and let's take a break." He said, waving her to his office. She looked around to see who was watching, not seeing Ms.Deren, she stopped what she was doing and went to get their tea. Can was excited to go pick up his dad for the airport, and he couldn't wait until 6:00. He took his tea from her as she came in the office, " I wish you would go with me to the airport to pick up dad, he would be so excited to see you." He said leaning over to give her a kiss on the cheek. She looked out the door quickly to see if anyone was watching but it seemed everyone had begin to loss interest in their tea breaks. She relaxed a little, and smiled,         " Sorry dear, but I think you two need that time alone, I'll meet him later." But I am definitely anxious to meet him." She said, stroking his cheek with her fingers. 

He studied her face, he knew there was something wrong that she wasn't telling him, " Sanem what is troubling you, and don't say it's nothing because I know better." He stated, looking directly into her eyes. " Can, it's nothing that I can't handle, and let me do just that, please." She said pleading with her eyes. He knew immediately that it was Deren, " Sanem, did you get in trouble over those files, if you did I will take it up with her myself." He spewed, ready to confront Deren. Sanem jumped up, " No, please Can, don't say anything, it will make it worse." She begged. He wanted to protect her, if it meant making a change then that's what he would do. He would talk to his dad about it as soon as he could. He accepted her excuse for the moment, but he had his plans already turning in his head.

Sanem was relieved she had talked him out of facing Ms.Deren, but she wasn't sure how much longer she would be able to keep her job at this rate. 

Having to take all that she was dishing out, was hard for her, but she had to do it. Being with Can was much more important, so she would fight for it......

She would do anything so they could be together........