Uther Does Not Ship

Start from the beginning

-

Upon returning to Camelot, the first thing Arthur did was to call Gaius up to his chambers to examine the horn. Gaius recognized it immediately.

"The Horn of Cathbad. When Uther attacked the Isle of the Blessed, the Horn of Cathbad was smuggled to safety before the temple fell. It hasn't been heard of since."

"The old woman said it could be used to open a door to the spirit world."

"I have seen it with my own eyes," Gaius confirmed. "Long before the time of the great purge, I took part in such ceremonies. Each year at Beltane, the High Priestesses would gather at the great stones of Nemeton and summon the spirits of their ancestors. It holds powerful magic." Gaius handed the horn back to Arthur. "You must keep it safe."

-

The next afternoon, Merlin found Arthur sitting at the head of his table with an upside down bowl in front of him and apples on the floor.

"What are you doing?" Merlin asked, slightly alarmed.

"Nothing. Thinking."

"You thinking? Well now I'm really getting worried."

"Shut up." Merlin reached for the bowl to put the apples back in, but Arthur stopped her. "Leave it."

"Why?" Merlin was officially concerned.

"Because... I'm telling you to and I'm the King of Camelot."

"Uh huh..." Merlin reached for the silver jug, but then at the last second, lunged for the bowl."

With the reflexes of... well, a knight, Arthur once again put his hand on the bowl to stop her from getting to whatever was under it. "Ready the horses and gather some supplies."

"Uh, where are we going?"

"You don't need to know."

"And don't breathe a word of this to anyone." Arthur stood up and held a spoon up to Merlin's face.

"Are you threatening me with a spoon?"

Arthur gave her a cold stare.

"Alright! Alright! I'm going. Gosh."

-

The journey was long, and Merlin did not have the faintest idea on where they were going. That is, until a circle of stones came into view.

"No... Don't tell me..."

"The Great Stones of Nemeton."

When they reached the stones, Arthur pulled the horn out of his saddle bag.

"You're going to use it?"

"This'll be the only chance I'll have to see my father again. I can't let it pass."

"This is powerful magic," Merlin warned.

"My father was taken from me before his time. Now there isn't a day that passes when I don't think of the things I wish I'd said to him. If you were given the same chance, to see your father, talk to him, wouldn't you take it?"

Merlin sighed and reluctantly agreed.

They tied up the horses and walked the rest of the way to the stones. Merlin stopped before she got too close, but Arthur walked right up to it. Arthur held the horn up to his mouth and blew. A light shone from the group of stones that were shaped like a doorway. Arthur walked through.

Merlin was suddenly reminded of when Lancelot walked through the veil. A tear ran down her cheek, which she quickly wiped away.

Merlin waited.