32

Missed yesterday's upload just because I wanted a longer chapter for this one, but I'll try to keep an every weekday, to every other weekday schedule :)
Thank you so much for all the comments and love! I'm so happy to hear you guys are enjoying this one.
xoxo

Sammy

I honestly wasn't sure what made me think that taking Dante to go see my uncle in prison was a fantastic idea for a first date

Of course this wasn't actually a date... but that's what I was telling myself to lighten the spirits of having to do this in the first place.

It had been a while since I'd seen Uncle Jimmy (A couple months of sweet ignorance and bliss if I do say so myself). He only ever reached out when he needed me... and it was never a good thing when he did.

The penitentiary was maybe an hour drive or so up north. I hadn't really thought through any of this trip, or the fact that Dante had, was, and was most likely going to continue avoiding conversation, as well as my gaze.

He had asked where we were off to when we first got on the road, but I told him we had a few destinations- which we did.

Along with visiting Uncle Jimmy, we were also going to make a stop at the hardware to fix up a few things around Fight Club. I needed to purchase more tarp in case the rain got worse. Water had seeped through the hole in the roof, but I placed a bucket there to catch any access. According to Grayson, this was just the start of a pretty wet next couple weeks.

Dante remained silent for the first maybe fifteen to twenty minutes after that, but when twenty five minutes or so passed, I couldn't take the silence anymore.

"How's work going at Tidal Wave?" I asked him... as if I didn't see Kas everyday who insisted on giving me a play by play with how much Dante was catching on.

I acted uninterested with Kas, but really it was nice to hear about Dante's improvements.

I also liked to gauge where he was at in terms of energy.

Dante was probably the last person to decline doing something for someone. I wanted to make sure that if his day there was a stressful one, at least I could try to make his next work day at Fight Club more bearable. So far, with Kyle and the A/C down, I wasn't doing the greatest job of that.

"It's going well." Dante nodded. "I think I've finally nailed down the regulars which is great. Definitely misjudged the rowdy bunch my first night." He turned to give me a smile, which automatically made the edges of my lips curl up.

It was the first look he'd given me all day that wasn't coupled with embarrassment.

"I'm glad to hear it." I nodded. "It's a different environment that takes some getting used to, but I'd consider most of the regulars there great friends. Some come out to support the guys during our fights- then we all usually meet up at Tidal Wave afterwards to get shitfaced. It's good company."