Chapter 21

"Yeah?" I answer.

"The guy for the windows is here, he needs to check and measure your windows." Jàime says.

"Oh, okay. You can bring him in." I say as I stand up off my bed and pull the covers to smooth them out.

"Right this way." Jàime says to the man. He comes in then goes over to my windows and pulls out a tape measure.

"Yeah, these windows are gonna be tricky but I think we have some safety bars that would work. Here are your options. If you select a style today we can fit you in for installation by Friday." The man says.

"You don't have anything available today?" Jàime sighs annoyed.

"Unfortunately no, we have to order the bars and then we go to Arizona to get our materials then we do the installation the day after." The man replies.

"That will work." I say as I look at Jàime who is getting frustrated.

"These white ones here will do." Jàime says.

"I didn't see any little ones running around, and you guys are pretty far away from civilization, what do you even need bars for anyways? You kidnapping people?" The man laughs.

"You know wha-" Jàime starts but I interrupt her.

"I sleepwalk. Almost fell out of the window." I laugh.

"Oh. That sounds dangerous." The man says.

"Yup. Hence the bars. So, Friday is the earliest you can do the installation?" I flirt hoping that will get him to speed things up.

"Well, I guess I can have my guys place an order and pick it up tomorrow. Then the day after tomorrow I can have the guys all work on putting the bars on." The man says blushing.

"I'd really appreciate it. The sooner the better. I'd hate to almost fall out the window again." I pout.

"No worries miss, We will get you taken care of." The man says.

Jàime just rolls her eyes and crosses her arms.

"Thank you." I say. The man says "No problem" as he turns out of my room, walks down the stairs and out the front door.

"Really? How do you do that?" Jàime asks.

"Just know how to deal with people I guess." I laugh.

"You'll be having the safety bars guy in love with you too. Better be careful." Jàime jokes.

"Oh, fuck you." I laugh.

"So, I wanted to show you something." Jàime says.

"Oh yeah? What's that?" I ask her.

"Come to my room." Jàime says.

"Sorry Jà, but no, I won't have sex with you." I joke.

"Asshole. Come on." Jàime laughs. I follow her to her room. She closes the door behind me. She has candles everywhere which is new.

"I have been reading these books, journals, grimoires, the stuff my mom left for me to tap into my witch side." Jàime starts. "Just watch." Jàime continues.

I stand there and watch what she's doing. She closes her eyes then puts her hands out, palms up and slightly, slowly raises her hands. Every candle in her room lights.

"What?!" I say excitedly. Jàime opens her eyes and smiles at me.

"That isn't all." She says. She swipes her hand and her bathroom door closes.

"Woah. Matilda!" I say jokingly.

"Matilda ain't got shit on me. Lay on my bed and close your eyes. I want to try something." Jàime says. I do as she asks. She starts chanting.