Chapter 9

The next morning when I wake up Jàime is already up. I get up and get dressed. I've never been the dressy type so I just throw on whatever I feel that day. Whatever feels comfortable. Jàime on the other hand, she's a fashionista so she's always on top of the latest trends and dresses fashionably. She knocks on my door, which for her is unusual since she usually just bursts through my door.

"You can come in. Why are you knocking?" I laugh.

Jàime opens the door and steps in my doorway.

"I didn't know if you were decent. You're not going to believe who is at the door." she says with a shocked look.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Come see for yourself." She says.

As I go downstairs I see the back of a really tall guy, he has loose curly light blonde hair that comes down to his earlobes, he's muscular. When he turns around I couldn't believe who it was.

"Tate?!" I say shocked.

He looks so different. Chiseled jaw line, dark eyes, long lashes for a guy, smooth soft full lips. He definitely grew up. Holy shit.

"Gemma." He says.

I stand there staring for a second.

"W-what brings you here? How do you even know where we live?" I ask. I don't know what else to say.

"What are you not happy to see me?" He jokes.

"No I am! I'm just.. confused. It's been years now." I say.

"Yeah." He laughs.

"The restraining order expired the beginning of this year, I've been wanting to see you. I just had to get up the courage to do so." Tate says.

"I'm sorry about that. It sucks they placed a restraining order against all of Harvey's family too. There was nothing I could do." I say.

"After what Harvey did that's the best thing the court could do to help keep you safe after failing you. I'm okay with that. You don't have to apologize." He says.

"Well come in, why you still standing outside?" I laugh.

Tate comes in and sits down.

"Tatum Thompson, in the living flesh, sitting in my kitchen. I'm still shocked." I say.

He laughs. He has a set of the most perfect white teeth and his smile is so handsome, as is he.

"So, What have you been up to? Oh! Would you like something to drink? Coffee?" I ask.

"Yes, please. Coffee is fine." He says.

As I'm making coffee he talks.

"Since everything that happened, I've just been traveling a lot. Seeing the world. I pretty much live out of my truck and hotels." He chuckles.

"That must be exciting, seeing the world. What do you do for work?" I ask.

"Yeah, but I think I want to stick around, stay in Cali for a while. Right now I work odd jobs, construction, cleaning, Uber.." he says as if he's hinting at something.
It clicks.
"Wait.. No way! That was you!!?" I ask.

He laughs. "Yeah. It was. Sorry about that. I wasn't expecting you of all people to be getting in my car, I saw you and I froze. I couldn't speak." He says. "I sold my car since but when I dropped you and Jàime off I sat at the end of the driveway and thought about saying something but I panicked and drove off. I didn't know how you were gonna react. That's how I knew where you live." He continues.