Chapter 50: Gone Too Far

~Rick's P.O.V~

I woke up to the sound of Shane pacing back and forth while whispering stuff to himself. I sat up and stared at him for a little bit, obviously confused. What's he doing? It wouldn't hurt to ask, I guess.

"Shane, you okay?" I guess my voice snapped Shane out of his thoughts. He whipped his head up and looked at me.

"What? Oh, yeah. I-I'm fine. Don't worry about me, I'm great."

I raised my eyes brows and stood up. He began to pace again. "I'm just going to go outside now.."

"Oh, oh yeah. You do that. Ariel and Daryl are out there. Some are looking for food and the priest is in that room with a few of our people. Don't ask what they're doing cause I don't know."

I nodded and walked outside. Daryl and Ariel were standing in front of the church. It kind of looked like they were arguing. "Everything okay?" I asked. My voice scared her and she jumped towards Daryl. He put his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to calm her down.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Daryl's just being difficult." She said, raising her voice mid-sentence.

He held out his arms and gave her a look of disbelief. "Wha- are you kidding me?" Ariel walked away from him.

Dixon lowered his arms and sighed while shaking his head. "I don't understand her sometimes."

"She's a girl. Nobody understands girls. I don't even think girls understand girls."

My comment made Daryl chuckle a little. Whoa, a smile. "Why are you guys out here, anyways?" I asked trying to break the tension.

"She wanted to go with some of the group to look for food but I didn't let her. She got a little mad at me." He said to me.

Before I could speak, Ariel walked right up next to me. A few minutes later, Shane walked out of the church. He looked steaming mad. "Hey, Shane." Ariel called out.

He gave her a glare and kept walking. Daryl muttered something that I couldn't quite make out, but apparently Shane heard it. He quickly turned around and began to walk towards Daryl. Ariel protectively stepped in front of her older brother.

Shane swiftly pushed her out of the way and she fell onto the ground. I helped her up. When I looked back up, Shane was right up in Daryl's face. Ariel made an attempt to pull Shane back, but to no avail. They starred each other down for a few seconds.

"You gonna do something or am I gonna have to?" Daryl asked.

Shane smirked and pulled his fist back. Ariel panicked and ran up behind Shane and grabbed his arm then pulled him down to the ground. He fell on top of her and they both struggled to get back up. After they did, a sly smile began to spread across Shane's face as he stared at Ariel.

"Listen here, Dixon. I'll make you a deal. You mess with me again, I'll kill your sister." Shane threatened.

Whoa, where did this new Shane come from? Where's my best friend at, is he still in there? After he said that, I grabbed her and pushed her behind me, fearing he would try something.

"You lay a finger on her, I'll kill you." Daryl threatened.

Shane scoffed. "I'm sure you will, Dixon. Don't be surprised if she suddenly goes....missing." With that, Shane walked away.

Daryl stared at him in disbelief. "Come on, let's go back into the church." Daryl grabbed his sister's hand and pulled her into the building. She turned around to look at Shane, but he was already gone. I wonder where he went. All I know is that he better stay away from her if he wants to live to see the next day.

•~•~•~•~•

"Shane, come here!" I overheard Ariel scream. I decided to stay real quiet to see what was going on.

Shane turned around and began to walk towards her. My heart began to beat faster with every step he took towards her.

"What?" He huffed.

"You really wouldn't kill me, would you? I've been running with you people a long time and I don't think you're a murderer. Besides, I don't even think you would have the guts to do something so horrific."

"You don't think I have the guts," Shane pulled a knife out of his belt loop, "why don't we find out?"

I watched her back up and him walk forward. "Stay away, I have a gun."

"Is it loaded?" Shane asked.

She quickly nodded. "You sure bout that, sweetheart?" He pulled something out of his pocket.

She grabbed her gun and checked the amount of ammo. She gasped. "How did you.."

"I'm always watching you, Ariel." I saw him put the knife away.

"You know what? Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, there was a man named Shane. He was in love with a woman named Lori. Lori's husband was in the hospital that he was never supposed to leave. His name was Rick. So, Lori developed feelings for Shane. They hooked up. Until one day, Rick walked up and out of the blue, ending Shane's relationship with Lori. He was devastated. A few months later, Lori was killed at terminus, leaving Rick and Shane with a girl named Ariel."

She looked away from him and refused to make eye contact. "This is where it gets weird, now. Ariel has this over protective brother named Daryl. Daryl doesn't let Shane anywhere near her, but he does let Rick. Spending all that time with her, Rick developed feelings for Ariel. After a little while, Shane did the same. You know what happens then?"

She gave him a confused look. Shane let out a small laugh and reached for her head. He violently jerked it his way and forced her lips onto his. She fought back, but his grip on the back of her head was extremely strong. She began to slap and claw at his face. After a while, he let go. She slapped him. He brought out his knife and attempted to stab her leg, but missed by half an inch.

She gasped and got up. "Where are you going? We were having fun." Shane called out. She ran away from him and he followed. He lost her, and began to call out her name. I hid behind a sign and waited for her to pass. "Ariel, I see you." I witnessed her eyes widen and then she ran in the opposite direction of me. She pulled out her hunting knife for safety precautions.

He caught up with her and tackled her. He was on top of her and was attempting to cut her. She was too squirmy. She kicked him off. In the process, his knife barely collided with her left hand and gave her a huge gash. It bled everywhere. He looked at her with pleasure. "Just wait, I'm gonna kill you." He whispered.

He began to beat on her. After a few seconds, he grabbed his knife and stabbed her in the shoulder. She screeched in pain. Just as I was about to jump out for the rescue, her knife collided with his head, killing him. She began to stab him several times in the brain. I immediately ran up behind her and grabbed her.

"Let go of me!" She squirmed and attempted to get out of my grasp. She had her eyes closed and refused to look at me.

"Hey, hey! It's me! Calm down, look at me!" She began to calm down when she opened her eyes and noticed who it was. "He tried to.. Tried to." She stopped and began to cry. I held her close and brought her in the church.

Shane had gone too far and deserved what he got.