Chapter 41: Funeral

~Ariel's P.O.V~

Shane went around and woke everyone up. "We're burnin' daylight. Let's go, we have a long road ahead of us." Since when? "Where exactly are we going?" I asked him. "We're going somewhere." He responded with. "Oh, somewhere. That sure does clarify everything, thanks." I sarcastically said.

"We're just going to see if we can find a small town maybe, I don't know. We can't stay out in the open." Shane said.

"I know that." Everyone got up and we walked down the tracks again. I didn't leave Daryl's side for anything. In fact, sometimes I felt myself accidentally getting closer to him. I guess it was instinct. I didn't want to be around Rick, he could rip my throat out if I even say hi. "You okay?" Daryl asked me out of no where.

"Yeah, why wouldn't i be?" I asked. "You've been acting weird since yesterday.." He trailed off. I thought about what he said and shrugged. "I haven't noticed a difference." I said, not really wanting this conversation to continue.

"Just checkin' on you." He said. I smiled at his curiosity. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and it was Rick. My eyes widened and I tried to walk faster. Daryl noticed my jittery status and looked behind him. He put his arm around me and led me forward, leaving Rick with his head hanging low.

"You ever feel weird around him, you let me know. He's dangerous and going through a lot, there's no telling what he could do." Daryl whispered.

I nodded. "Hey, look, a town," Sophia shrieked, "can we stay there? It looks safe and it's got a house with stairs!"

We all stopped. Rick and Shane discussed it. Rick was all for the idea, but Shane didn't like it. "Just for a few nights, Shane." Rick said.

Shane sighed and eventually gave into Rick's pleas. The entire group smiled and laughed. "Let's get going." Shane said, leading the group to the small town.

After a few minutes of walking, we finally got there. "Get your weapons and check all the buildings. Go in pairs." He started handing out partners. "Ariel, go with... Rick." I looked at him in disbelief. He did that on purpose. "No way," Daryl said, "she's coming with me."

"No, your partner is Maggie. Now go." Shane ordered.

"Why don't we just pick our own partners?" Glenn spoke up. It was obvious he didn't want me going with Rick.

Shane rolled his eyes. "Fine, Ariel your now with Glenn. Rick, your with Maggie. Now move."

Daryl let out a sigh of relief. Everyone went into their designated houses and searched it. In ours, we had no walkers. "Hey, thanks back there." I spoke up.

"For what?" Glenn asked. "For saying that. Otherwise, I would've went with Rick." I said to him. "Oh, you're welcome. I saw what he did and your face when it happened. You look terrified. I wouldn't let you go through the trouble. It would be really awkward for both of you."

I smiled at him, not really knowing how to respond. We exited the house and stood on the road. Everyone slowly joined us. "Did anyone run into any problems?" Shane asked. Everyone shook their head. "Good. Pick some roommates and choose a house. We should have enough for about two per house. You're welcome to make it more."

I instantly walked over to Daryl. "Let's go to that house. It's pretty big." We walked inside. It was beautiful. I sat down on the couch. Daryl came and sat next to me. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Do you think we'll find Beth?" I asked him out of no where. He stayed silent for a few seconds. "Yes. We will. We better," he said, "if only I would've stayed with her. I could've ran off with her when we left the prison. She'd still be here. I could've saved her."