Chapter 103: Adrenaline

Adrian's POV

Adrenaline.

That's all that was pumping through my veins.

Adrenaline.

I kept telling myself that I needed to focus on running, nothing else but running. But I can't help my mind from wandering.

What about Glenn? What about Michonne?

All I have to do is look for the flare from Glenn, that's it. If I can manage to see that, then maybe my mind will be a little more at rest.

I was running down the street. Walkers behind me. Hundreds of walkers behind me. I can't even slow down for a second or they'll have me. I've got to survive this.

Out in the very far distance, I heard a motorcycle rev. That's got to be Daryl. I looked to my left because that's where the noise was coming from. When I looked straight in front of me, there was a walker. I took an extremely sharp turn to the left, but it grabbed my arm. I tried to shake it off, but it had too firm of a grip.

I yanked my arm away and continued to run. I've got to at least attempt to lose these guys. I ran to my left and into the woods. I jumped over sticks and logs. I took my gun out and shot off four rounds, hitting four walkers straight in the forehead. They fell, but that hardly even made a difference.

What's it gonna take to shake these guys? I checked my surroundings. Not far from the safe zone. Come on, I got this.

My legs ached and my body wanted to give in to exhaustion, but I know if I do that I'll for sure die.

After a few more minutes of running, I was finally approaching the safe zone. As I got closer, I saw that there were even more walkers surrounding the place.

You've got to be kidding me.

How am I gonna get in there now? I heard a noise from my side. How am I just now remembering that I have a radio to talk to everyone on?

I held down the button so I could speak to them. "Rick, Daryl, someone!" I let go of the button.

After a few seconds, someone spoke back. "Ariel, what is it?" It was Rick.

"I'm stuck outside the safe zone. There's walkers in front of me and there's walkers behind me. How am I gonna get in?"

He didn't speak for a few seconds. "Ariel, it's Maggie. Is Glenn with you?"

"How do I get inside, Maggie?" I yelled at her, maybe a little too loud.

"Is Glenn with you?" She yelled straight back.

"No!" I screamed.

"It's Rick again." He said. "Rick, I'm improvising. If I don't make it, then tell my brother I'm sorry. I'll say hi to Lori for you."

"A, what are you talking about?" Daryl joined in.

"I'm improvising. I have to go." I hung the radio on my side and turned it off. I turned around and looked at the walkers behind me, and then at the walkers straight in front of me. I heard people screaming my name from the safe zone.

It didn't take long for Maggie, Michonne, Rick, Joel, and Ellie to climb onto one of the stands where people take watch. They were waving me down and yelling for me to stop, but I pushed on. I reached the horde of walkers, and ran straight through. They all noticed me and tried to get me, but I was too fast for them to actually touch me.

I took my knife out and stabbed the ones that got too close. One grabbed my leg, and I kicked it off just in time. I was halfway through. Just gotta keep moving. That's all.

Finally, I was through and at the gate. If Enid can climb over one of these, then so can I. I began to climb up it, but they grabbed my legs. I was a bit away from the stands that my friends were standing on, but it didn't really matter as long as I got over. I finally kicked the walkers off me and climbed to the top. I threw myself over and started climbing down and into the safe zone.

On the way down, my foot slipped and I lost my grip on the fence and fell on the road. I landed on my foot and I heard a crack.

I held my ankle in pain. Did I just break it? The group was over to me in about six seconds flat. Maggie picked me up held onto my shoulders. "What's wrong with you? Are you crazy?" She kind of shouted as she shook me back and forth.

"You could've been killed!" She said.

"Yeah, but I wasn't. Calm down."

She looked down at how I was standing on my foot. "What'd you do to your ankle?" She asked as she let go of my shoulders. She sounded rather annoyed with me.

"I landed on it when I fell."

"Let me look at it." Maggie offered. I sat on the ground and she did the same. She didn't pick my foot up, but she did touch it a lot from where it was sitting. "No, it's not broken. Probably just sprained or something along the lines of that."

"Well, id love to get back to the house now. Did everyone make it back safe?"

"So far, the only people we're missing are Glenn, Nicholas, Abraham, Sasha, and Daryl."

"They're gonna make it back though. I know they are." Ellie said.

"I believe that too. I just hope it's sooner rather than later." Rick said.