Chapter 22: Chaos

~Nobody's P.O.V~

A helicopter flew overhead a whole herd of walkers. Clearly over 100. Little did the group know, that helicopter was heading for Atlanta, which would cause the walkers to go to Hershel's house.

~Ariel's P.O.V~

Today was a calm day. Extremely calm. Normally, we would have people going insane and ready to kill each other on the spot, but today was different. I was really starting to warm up to the farm. It could be a new home for us. After all we've been through, I believe we deserve a break. That most likely won't happen with our luck.

"Walker!" Andrea called out.

"Are you sure? It's really dark and Rick's out there. Is it him?" Lori asked Andrea, obviously worried.

"No, that's a walker. And another one. And another. And... Oh my gosh."

"What, what, what do you see?"

"We need to get out of here, now! That's.. It's... Just.. Look!" Andrea handed the binoculars over to Lori, and she looked around. Lori saw it and nearly fell back.

"Walkers. Way more than we can handle. Get the stuff. We can't take them on, come on! Pile into the cars. Get Hershel and his family out of here!" Lori ordered.

Everyone nodded and Dog ran inside to get them. The walkers were approaching faster than we wanted them to. My mind floated to only one person. Rick. He's somewhere in the mix of that. I hope hes okay.

"Daryl!" I called out, looking frantically for him. I hope he's okay, too. "Daryl, now isn't the time to play jokes, if you're here come on out!" I searched and searched. A pair of hands wrapped around my wrists. I looked up and it was Shane.

"Come on, girl, we have to leave."

"No, not without my brother."

He sighed and let me go. Dog came running out of the house but the Greene's weren't with him.

"They aren't comin. Hershel said we can at least try. We can get in cars and circle around the property a bit until we call it off, but he said try."

"Is he insane?"

"Maybe. But we have to follow his orders. His property; his say." Shane told him.

I continued to search for Daryl. "It's okay, I'm right here." He whispered in my ear. I smiled widely. "You're alive." I looped my arms around his neck. "Come on, get in a car. Let's go find Rick." We all piled into different cars and circled his land, shooting the walkers we came across.

"Daryl, do you have a lighter on you?" He nodded his head. I held out my hand for him to give it to me. He dropped it in my hand. "Drop me off at the barn, I'll explain later but right now, you have to trust me."

He dropped me off, and I climbed up the ladder on the side of the barn. I lit the lighter then dropped it in the barn, hoping that would draw some attention. A few dozen came over and checked it out. Dog came passing by in the blue ford truck, and I jumped in the back. I grabbed my gun and began shooting the nearby walkers. I saw Beth run out of the house. Hershel was in the front yard shooting his shotgun. Someone came up behind him and pulled on his suspenders.

"We have to leave."

"But it's my farm!"

"Not anymore!" They got into cars and we drove off the property. About halfway off the farm, I turned around and saw Amy standing in the mix of the herd. I grabbed my knife and gun and jumped out of the back of the truck. I ran as fast as I could, avoiding walkers. I made my way over to her, and began shooting. I threw her my knife, and she stabbed some of them in the head.

I looked around the farm, and all the cars were gone.

"Thank you so much, Ariel. You saved my ass."

"No time for thank you's, we have to get out of here."

I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the woods. We ran for hours and hours.

~Daryl's P.O.V~

I was driving back to the highway with Carol on the back of my bike. I assumed the rest of the group was going towards the highway, so that's why I decided to go there. If they were coming, I was the first one to arrive. Carol and I jumped off the back of the bike, and we waited patiently. A few minutes later, a blue Ford truck pulled up, followed by a few more cars. It's them.

I smiled so big at the thought of seeing Ariel. As everyone was jumping out of the cars and hugging each other, I searched for Ariel. Everyone was standing by their loved ones. Nobody moved.

"Where's Amy?" Andrea spoke.

"Ariel?" I choked out. Everyone gasped and put their hand over their mouth.

"Merle?" I said again. I just lost my entire family. I sat on the road, lost in my thoughts. Rick came over to me and sat down.

"I'm so so so sorry for your loss."

"Why are you sorry? Your son is alive, your wife. Your best friend. You got everything going for you. You don't get to be sorry, Rick. Everybody here has lost someone except you. Andrea just lost Amy. Maggie and Beth lost their mom. Glenn lost his whole family, but everything's fine cause Sheriff Rick has his!"

"Daryl, I-"

"No, Rick, let me just stop you there. You were always there for Ariel, where were you when she needed you the most in her last few moments, huh? I can't even imagine... I can't.." I tried to choke back the tears, but they flooded out.

Beth came over to hug me, but I pulled away. She gave me a worried look, then tried to hug me again. I let her this time, and we stood there for a few minutes. I eventually hugged her back.

"Daryl, you still have us." Lori told me. "You have that going for you." Andrea added on.

I nodded and went in the back of an empty car. I didn't know what to think. I had just lost my brother and my sister. What was I supposed to think?