Interlude - The Knights of the Round Table Are Jealous... of Each Other

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Gwaine..."

"May I?" Gwaine motioned to her neck.

"Yes! Yes, please." Merlin turned and held her hair out of the way. Gwaine lifted the necklace over her head and fastened it in the back of her neck. Once that was done, Merlin turned back to Gwaine and touched the necklace. "I love it."

"I'm glad," Gwaine grinned. Then he leaned in and put a hand on the side of Merlin's face. Merlin understood what he was doing and also leaned in, closing her eyes. Their lips met in a tender, chaste kiss.

Neither of them saw Percival on the other side of the garden.

The two pulled apart. Gwaine cleared his throat. "We... We should head back. Arthur's expecting you."

"R-right. Arthur..."

-

Like the gentleman he was, Gwaine walked Merlin to Arthur's chambers before heading off to patrol.

"Finally, Merlin. What took you so long?"

"Gwaine talks a lot."

"Fair enough." If Arthur noticed the necklace that adorned Merlin's neck, he did not say. Instead, he said, "Go get two plates for lunch and bring it up here."

"Two?" Merlin tilted her head. "I don't think your belt-"

"They're not both for me, Merlin. I'm having a guest for lunch."

"Suuure." 

Arthur rolled his eyes fondly and Merlin ran down to the kitchen. She returned with two plates of Cook's finest. Merlin set them down on the table and stood behind Arthur's chair as was proper. Arthur walked over to the chair that was just to the right of the head of the table and pulled it out. He motioned for her to sit.

"What?"

"Honestly, Merlin. I don't understand how you can be so clever and yet so dense at the same time. Sit."

Cautiously, Merlin sat down. "Why?"

"It's your birthday, Merlin."

"But-"

"Eat."

-

After their lovely lunch date- erm I, uh... I mean... No, no. I mean date- Arthur let Merlin have the rest of the day off. Merlin went down to Gaius' chambers and spent some time with him for a little bit until there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Gaius called.

Sir Leon peeked his head into the room. "Is it alright if I borrow Merlin for a bit?"

"Of course, Sir Leon."

Merlin closed the door behind her and faced Leon. "Hello, Leon."

"Hello, Merlin. I don't have much time, but I wanted to give this to you. Happy birthday." Leon held out a small box, about the size of his palm. 

Merlin took the box and opened it. Inside rested a bracelet. Merlin took it out of the box to get a closer look. It was mainly silver, with a few diamonds encrusted in it, carved into the shape of a dragon, twisting into a spiral to wrap around her wrist. 

Leon rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I can get a different one if you don't like it. I just figured... Well, you told me about your father, and..."

"I love it, Leon."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do." Merlin slid the bracelet onto her wrist. "It's absolutely wonderful."