Wednesday: Crown Prince Kevyn

I run into Prince Gareth first thing in the morning. I don't know why, but when I'm in his embrace I feel a bit safer already. Guess all this assassination is getting to me more than I let on.

"You look beautiful as always, Jenny." He says as he lets me go.

"Nonsense. These bruises have yet to heal." I gesture to my hands.

He kisses my hands gently. "They can never do damage to your beauty, princess."

I pout. It will leave scars. "I'll look like a boxer."

"Or a fighter. The queen we deserve."

I shake my head. "Haven't you heard? Brandon took my place as the next sovereign instead."

"A simple perspective can do wonder, princess." Prince Gareth smiles knowingly.

"You're poetic today, aren't you Prince Gareth?"

Prince Gareth opens his mouth, but Uncle Isaac's voice drowns his.

"Dear! Here you are."

Prince Gareth turns to him and smiles. "Here I am. Good morning, Isaac." He leans to give my uncle a little peck.

Uncle Isaac turns his gaze to me. "Jenny! Have you had breakfast?"

I curtsy. "You two go on, I'm having tea in the garden with Brandon."

"Fancy! Okay, um, have fun." He looks at me as is he has something to say, but decides to leave it. Prince Gareth, though, takes this time to speak.

"I'm truly sorry for the inappropriate things my son has done to you, princess."

"No, not at all! We met an understanding. If anything, it only brings our families a little closer, don't you think?"

Prince Gareth smiles warmly. "I'd like that very much, Jenny. You're such a sweetheart. Now, if you'll excuse me."

I give him a genuine smile before turning around to meet my newfound cousin.

^^^

"How does it feel like, to be stripped off of your title?"

I stare hard at Brandon, controlling my expression. "I am here to congratulate you, Brandon."

"Crown Prince Brandon, please."

He seems ... overwhelmed. Not in a good way.

"How does it feel to anticipate the crown?"

"Oh, it couldn't get better. But you would know, wouldn't you? Until last week, it was you in my shoes."

"Uncle Isaac is perfectly healthy. Possibly a good fifty years before he passes away, maybe longer. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you." I conveniently leave out one small important detail that while Uncle Isaac's body is indeed perfectly healthy, his mind's not. That Dr. Rowan, his psychiatrist, strongly advises him to step down the throne as soon as possible.

Brandon looks shocked. I knew it.

"Just because you reach eligible age doesn't mean you would have your coronation right away. I'm twenty years, Brandon, and still a crown princess when you came."

"That ... That ... I'm sure my dad can change the law, right? He's the king, after all."

Yet he didn't get to keep the crown for the heir he wanted.

"This is a constitutional monarchy, Brandon. The sovereign holds only significant amount of power, not absolute." I purposely use difficult words to gag his reaction.