Chapter Twelve - Zane

Ivy slept the entire flight to Hawaii and went to bed as soon as we landed because of her headache. I didn't even know humans could sleep that long. The minute she woke up the following morning she wanted to go to the beach, and when we arrived, she started playing in the water. Like a little kid.

She was running and jumping over waves, without going into the water past her knees, and I don't know what came over me, but I laughed at her. She was adorable in her teal and white bathing suit, her giant floppy hat and sunglasses that took up half of her face.

I noticed the man with the camera too late. He was sitting far enough away to seem inconspicuous, but too close for my comfort. I wanted to feel irritated that he was going to force me to play the doting husband, but I couldn't find any anger inside me. I wanted to get in the ocean and be goofy with this crazy girl.

"You decided to join me?" She removed her sunglasses and grinned up at me when I approached.

"We have company," I said, nodding to the left where I'd left the cameraman on the beach. Her smile told me she understood what I meant and when she leaned up to kiss me, I didn't hesitate.

When we broke apart something in her expression had changed. She looked so vulnerable under her flushed cheeks and wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked, running my thumb over the light color on her cheek.

"I'm okay," she smiled. "Let's play."

"Ten minutes, and then we need to go eat. You slept through breakfast, and I don't want you to pass out in the water or something. I don't know CPR."

"How could you not know CPR? It's in about a million movies."

I shrugged. "I don't ever pay attention."

"You should learn. It could come in handy one day."

"You're the only one I'm worried about keeping alive for the next few years, so just don't get into a situation where I need to know how to do it," I said it jokingly but was startled by how much the thought of something happening to her scared me.

The revelation of how much I truly needed her scared me.

"Promise me," I urged, even though I wasn't sure what I was asking her to promise.

"I promise," she answered without hesitation.

We were eating lunch in our hotel room when Trina called to inform us that we'd made headline news. The man on the beach had sold our picture the minute he got a chance. I was surprised anyone knew who I was anymore, to be honest. No one had paid much attention to my life lately, and I was almost nervous about what the gossip articles might say. I felt the need to warn Ivy again, but she shrugged it off. I couldn't convince her that she was crazy for marrying me. I honestly don't know why I was trying to make her realize it. Maybe I was preparing myself for the inevitable. There was no way she'd stay with me for five years. My demons were much too dark for her.

"What are we going to do now?" she asked.

"Want to go swim with sharks?"

"No!"

Why did Ivy's laugh make me smile? I picked up her empty plate and sat the dirty dishes on the cart room service brought up before sitting on the love seat beside Ivy. The hotel room resembled an apartment more than a hotel, and she loved it.

"We have to do something neither of us has ever done."

"I've never been to Hawaii so I think that should count!"

"It doesn't. Let's go snorkeling."

"That doesn't sound fun." I saw the look of fear on her face before she could hide it.