Chapter Three - Ivy

Aunt Sam was standing outside the shop office, eyes wide, staring at something near the front. I knew what, or whom she had her gaze fixed on when I looked at the clock.

It was only a little after 1:00 PM, but my aunt's eyes told me he was early. I stood, grabbed the large wrench from the shelf, and walked out to greet him. I'd be the only one that knew who he was since Randy wasn't working. He was dressed down in jean shorts and a plain gray shirt. The shirt sleeves were pulled tight around his arms, showing off his large muscles, and I was glad I'd decided to bring my weapon.

"Again with that thing?" he asked eyeing my shoulder.

"I don't know you, so I have to take precautions. This is my aunt, Sam," I said pointing to the pink haired, forty-six-year-old beside me. "She's the owner."

"Technically, I'm the manager." She reached her hand out to shake his. "Can I help you with something?"

"He's the guy waiting for the tire," I supplied before he could talk. He narrowed his eyes at me after taking Sam's hand in greeting. Apparently, he didn't like people speaking for him

"My name is Zane Landis, ma'am. I had a meeting here last night but had some car trouble. That's how I found this place."

"He didn't tighten his gas cap enough," I said, barely disguising the humor in my voice.

"And there was a nail in my tire," he added. His eyes told me he didn't like me, but they held something else I didn't think I liked. "I was wondering if I could speak to you, alone."

"Absolutely not!" the deep, angry voice from behind him said. I saw Pop when he'd walked in and hovered, listening to the conversation, but I decided to let him be a silent presence.

Zane turned and took in Pop like he was butting into the wrong person's business. That wasn't good. The wrench was for my safety, but at that moment I feared for Zane's.

"Can I ask you why?" Zane asked, irritation in his voice.

"Because she's my granddaughter and I'm not going to let her in a room alone with a hot head like you," he answered.

"You don't even know me," Zane replied, and for the first time in my entire life, I saw a vein in Pop's forehead grow. I'd heard about that vein.

"Oh crap!" Aunt Sam whispered beside me. I had to take action before someone got themselves killed.

"I know exactly who you are. I might be an old man, but I keep up with the times. You're that little brat from California."

"California?" I asked. I stepped forward, completely forgetting my grandfather's hard look because, well, California.

"Yeah," Zane said looking down at me. He looked back at Pop and continued. I wasn't sure why, but his voice immediately changed. This time when he spoke, he was respectful. "If I could talk to her privately, I'd appreciate it. We could walk right there, over by the cars."

I don't know what came over me, but I tossed the wrench to Pop, hearing him grunt as he caught it, before I grabbed Zane's hand and started pulling him to the car lot. Pop didn't say anything, but he didn't move, and when I stopped us near the middle of the lot, I could still see Pop leaning up against the outside of the building.

"You're from California?" I asked. Sure, I'd met people from all over, but California was one of the places I wanted to go more than I wanted my next breath.

"Do you honestly have no idea who I am?" he asked. He shook his head like he couldn't believe it.

"You're Zane. That's what you said in there. Should I know more than that?"