Chapter Five - Ivy

I found a piece of notebook paper and wrote a goodbye note to my family. Pop had a key to my house along with Uncle Ryan, so I knew when I didn't show up for work the next day, they'd find it. This was definitely the worst thing I'd ever done. Probably the worst thing I would ever do in my life. I hoped it was, at least.

Dear Pop, Uncle Ryan, Aunt Sam, Mom, Dad and anyone else that is reading this.

First, I want to apologize for leaving like this, but, I'm getting married! I know you are probably beyond worried, but you don't have anything to worry about. I've fallen in love! It's true! I promise to call you all when we get situated and let you know everything.

I promise you; I am fine. Please don't hate me, please don't be upset with me. I know what I'm doing, and I promise everything will be okay. I'll see you soon.

Love you all,

Ivy

It was still dark out, but Zane had called me at two in the morning, right after Cal left, to let me know he was going to pick me up at three.

Thankfully, just a few weeks prior I had ordered my very first luggage set for my future travels, so I had something in which to pack my stuff.

Two rolling suitcases, a duffle bag, two small zipper bags, my purse and a backpack were sitting by the door holding all my belongings. All the belongings I could take with me, anyway.

I quickly made a pot of coffee and filled two travel mugs. With no idea how Zane took his coffee, I grabbed two extra vanilla creamer packets and shoved them in my purse. I did a quick run through of my house, checking to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything important, and before I knew it, there was a knock at the front door.

Zane didn't look like a morning person.

"Ready?" he asked. His voice was husky like he wasn't quite awake yet.

"Yeah, I have to get all of my bags though."

"Why are you taking bags?" He sounded irritated. I fought the urge to roll my eyes and almost lost.

"Why wouldn't I take my things? I'm supposedly moving away for five years. I don't want my family to have to come and pack up all my things. Plus, they're my things."

"I just thought you'd buy new stuff. You're going to be rich."

"Not for another few years, I won't."

"You're going to be my wife; therefore you're going to be rich."

"I don't care. I want my stuff," I said. I picked the coffee mugs up off the table and headed out to the car. I opened the door and placed them in the cup holders then turned to walk back inside.

"You can help me with these," I said. Zane was staring at my suitcases like he wished they would burst into flames. Thankfully, he grabbed everything except one bag on rollers and took them to the car, piling them in the backseat.

I turned and looked through the door, into the house that had been my home and felt a twinge of sadness. I reminded myself that I was doing something I would never get another opportunity to do, so I couldn't pass this up. I didn't think anyone ever got a chance like this.

"Come on," Zane said from directly behind me. He took the suitcase out of my hand, and I shut and locked my door.

"I brought you coffee," I said when we climbed into the car. "I wasn't sure if you took sugar or cream, but I have some vanilla creamer if you want it."

"That would be great. Do you mind putting it in for me?" We'd been on the road for almost five minutes, and we were already almost out of Taylorsville.