•21•

Jackson
October

Jace stood over me while he spotted me. We'd been at the gym since 4:30 this morning and I was exhausted. I was thankful that I didn't have any classes today and I would have time to get some shut-eye before practice tonight.

I heard a whistle and looking up at Jace I saw a sort of impressed look. "Damn, fresh, you can definitely lift. It's been twenty minutes; are your arms tired?"

I blinked, shutting out my thoughts. My arms were a little shaky, but I pushed through. It wasn't because I wanted to impress anyone. I needed a distraction.

It had been two weeks since I ran into Oliver on the roof. And two weeks since he'd upped is defensive plays, making my life a living hell. And a bruised one at that. I wasn't sure what this guy's problem was. Was he bitter because I was a starter? A starter and younger than him? I wasn't sure, but I cared way too much. I cared enough to totally throw my arms out lifting these fucking weights.

     I signaled for Jace to lift the rest of the way and I sat up, grabbing a towel to wipe my face. With the towel to my face and my head resting on in the palms of my hands, I sighed.

     Jace leaned against the bar. "Hey, Jack, you good?"

     I couldn't help it. I wanted to tell him everything was fine. And if he didn't believe me I'd tell him it was girlfriend issues. I wanted to tell him anything other than the truth because the truth made me sound like a whiny freshman who couldn't handle himself in the real world. But it was Jace. And Jace had been there for me so many times in the last few months. I hated to say it, but he was more of a brother to me than Parker was right now.

     What happened to that piece of shit friend anyway? It's one thing to ghost me, I guess, but it's a whole other to ghost Kenny when he obviously had a thing for her. It was painfully obvious and neither of them was acknowledging it. Did something happen between them last summer? I heard Parker leave the room and then voices in the hall. I assumed it was Kennedy. Maybe he told her how he felt and she shot him down. I mean, I would've shot him down too at a time like that. But I couldn't believe he would run all the way across the world to get over her. He had me to lean on. Hell, he even had Declan to lean on.

     "Jack?" Jace pushes my shoulder.

     I shake my head as I turn to him. "What's that Oliver guy's problem? He doesn't give everyone the same shit he gives me so don't say it's nothing."

     Jace sighs and stands up straight. "Oliver . . . he—"

     And at that exact moment, Oliver and two of his buddies walk through the door—towards the treadmills.

     When I peel my eyes off of Oliver with his pale skin, messy black hair, and mussels shirt, I notice Jace's dark skin has gotten considerably lighter. He's shaking his head.

     "Jac—"

     "It's nothing. Oliver—I mean. There's nothing wrong with him. Just—just please be careful around him." In the few months I'd known Jace I'd never seen him this . . . worried. His eyes were wide and wild and every time Oliver said something I thought Jace would either punch him in the throat or run the other way.

     We decided to get some lunch before we took our naps. Jace drove as far from the gym as possible without any further explanation about Oliver. And I was left to ponder how I was actually supposed to feel about Oliver. Sure I hated the guy, but was I supposed to be worried about him?