•13•

November
Parker

     Her arms wrapped around my torso, pulling me in, and her head slammed into my chest causing me to lose air for a moment. I stumbled into her, lungs burning. But I grabbed her by the back and head and held her so she wouldn't getaway. So she couldn't. My lungs burned and the blood in my ears was raging. For how freaked out I was about this news—this whole thing—Kennedy seemed perfectly fine. I wanted to ask but I couldn't bring myself to pull her away. She seemed so comfortable and content staying here even though her mom was in the hospital.

     I opened my mouth to tell her we needed to go in, but all I accomplished was noticing her leveled, smooth heartbeat. Was mine normal? It couldn't be. My adrenaline was too high. So, how was hers? I looked up and made eye contact with Hope, pleading for her assistance. She got the message and looked past me to my family.

     Her warm smile appeared and she gestured to the door. "My name is Hope. It's a pleasure to meet you all finally. Parker has told us so much about you." She turned and they followed. On his way by, Charles grabbed my shoulder and gave me a knowing look. I'm not sure what he was 'knowing' but I nodded and returned my face to Kennedy's hair. She smelled like the beach and her hair was so soft as it tickled my nose in the cool breeze.

     "We need to go in," I whispered into her hair. At first, I didn't think she heard me, but then her arms fell to her sides, head still on my chest.

     "Okay," she mumbled as she lifted her head and turned to go into the hospital. I'm not sure what happened or why I felt the need to touch her again, but I grabbed her hand and laced my fingers with hers. Maybe it was because of what was happening. Or, more likely, it was about what would happen if this didn't turn out well. Kennedy could lose her mom and then what? She didn't have her dad or an older sibling to stay with. She never spoke about aunts, uncles, or grandparents. Kennedy was a minor until June. She'd be taken away. Taken away from her friends, the beach she loved, from me.

     She squeezed my hand to let me know she was waiting for me to snap out of it. I blinked out of my what-ifs and let her lead me in.

~•~•~•~

     Grace was sedated and on oxygen with a few stitches from her fall and a minor concussion from the impact. She looked ghostly. Her appearance has drastically changed from a slightly scary woman grilling Jackson and I, to this still scary woman who looked more like a skeleton than anything. Her cheeks were gaunt and pasty. I couldn't tell with the covers and gown, but from what I saw, she'd lost a lot of weight.

     Richard and Charles had gone out to get dinner for the Kennedy's and Young's. Reagan and my mom were talking to Mr. and Mrs. Young. They all had worried looks while they gestured to Grace and/or Kennedy. I knew what they were debating, but I tried to ignore them. Kennedy sat in a chair with Declan on one side and Hope on the other. On the other side of Declan was a woman I didn't know. She was very pretty, and she looked concerned like the rest of them, but her emerald dress was splattered with blood. I then noticed the hand that Declan was cradling was wrapped.

     All in all, I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't want to crowd Kennedy, I was sure, even though I was an adult, the older adults didn't want my say in matters.

     I scrubbed my face then ran my hands through my hair before I leaned against the glass. I—personally—didn't have anything against Grace. Other than the fact that one dinner she showed up late to ended pretty awkwardly. Kennedy hadn't told me what had happened after Jackson and I left. I wasn't sure if she'd spoken to Jackson, but he didn't say anything. Hope, unlike the deadpan Kennedy that still plagued us, looked more worried every time I pushed for an explanation. She would always smile and tell the same story the two of them stuck too. She was working a shift for a friend. I had no reason to doubt them . . . but I doubted them.

      I'd hung around the girls long enough to pick up on their nervous ticks. Well, Hope's at least. Hope Young looked at the ceiling when she was nervous. It looked super weird when she did it, but she'd only been nervous around me when I asked about that dinner.

     Kennedy on the other hand was more guarded. She wasn't quite secretive about anything, but only because she gave off this 'don't ask' vibe. We didn't hear much about her mom (even when she complained), about his dad, or even her actual name.

     Richard and Charles had just gotten back as I was just about to check on Kennedy when I realized I'd involuntarily drifted towards the cumulation of adults. My wobbly legs became planted when I heard what they were talking about.

     ". . . In other words: she will recover, but we will have to hospitalize her for a few days to run some tests and assess this more." The voice didn't sound familiar. A quick glance up showed that it was the doctor that had been assigned to Grace. He was a middle-aged man with glances and salt and pepper hair.

     The doctor glanced towards Kennedy. "I see that Ms. Kennedy's daughter is still a minor and probably shouldn't be left home alone at a trying time like this. Does she have any immediate family she can stay with?"

     Mrs. Young was quick to answer. Her eyes were puffy from tears and it looked like they were about to pick up now that they were discussing Kennedy. "No!" She cleared her throat. "I mean, no. They aren't close to anyone."

     Mr. Young nodded and put an arm around his wife's. "We would love to take Kenny in for the time being, but we don't have any space at the moment. I would kick Declan on to the couch in a heartbeat, but he's already there so Maya can have his room." The Young's looked extremely remorseful about their limited number of beds.

     The doctor was about to propose an alternative when Reagan spoke up a bit too enthusiastic. "Oh! She can stay with Charlie and Rachel!" She turned and grabbed Charles' hands. "You have room, dear. Don't let this girl away from the only people she has right now." My heart clenched at the sound of her voice.

     "I," Charles started and then cleared his throat. I think he was looking at my mom. "I don't see why not."

     "Okay. I'll just need you to sign off on some papers and then you can all go home."

     "Thank you, David." Richard and Charles started passing out the subs they'd gotten at Publix.

     There was a hand in my shoulder. I knew it was my mom. Her voice came in a hushed tone. "How are you doing, hun?"

     I knew what she was talking about. Mom and Charles were doctors at this hospital, but I hadn't stepped foot in since my dad. . . .

     My head shook as I turned to face her. "I can sleep on the couch and—"

     "No, dear." She put a hand on cheek and nodded as my eyes widened in realization. "You'll stay in your room, Reagan and Richard are in the guest room, and Kennedy will have Annie's room." Her face didn't even fall at the name. Her eyes stayed dry and a thin smile shown. I saw sadness in her eyes, but just barely. "It's time, I think."

     I turned to look at Kennedy. The girl who would be sleeping in my dead sister's room in just a few hours.

_____

So, I haven't posted in a bit, but no one been reading anyway. I will say that I'm very excited for the next chapter. We're close to getting some family honestly from Parker and Kennedy.