S2 Ep5 : Unplugged

Recently I had been texting a lot. Someone from the theatre club had made a group text, so I was getting messages constantly. I didn't want to miss out, so I had my phone with me almost non-stop. Not a healthy habit, but who likes to be left out?

Right now I was sitting at the dinner table, I think. I hadn't heard or said anything when I suddenly heard Mom yell. ''Everybody, gadgets down. Now!'' ''Why are you freaking out?'' Haley asked. ''Because everybody is so involved with those gizmos that nobody is even talking,'' Mom replied. After that I went back to playing my game. I was about to beat Dad's high score. But then Alex and I got a text from Haley, which made us laugh. Mom's insane. ''Woo! Dad, you might wanna check the leader board,'' I smiled. ''Son of a...'' I heard Dad mumble. ''Hannah, put it down,'' Mom said/yelled as she walked to answer the phone. 

A while later Mom and Dad called a family meeting. Well, actually I think Mom called it, because that was just standing there but... ''We have called this family meeting because the personal electronics have gotten out of control. Starting today, there's going to be a one-week ban in all cell phones, texting, IM'ing, video chatting, video gaming, anything on the Internet,'' Mom explained and we all groaned. But in my mind I had already found some sort of loophole. The landline, that isn't connected to the Internet right? But my thinking of this I missed information. I should really focus more. 

All of the sudden we were naming thing we wanted to have, I think Dad turned into a competition. Who could stay unplugged the longest won whatever they wanted. Alex wanted a laptop, Luke chicken pot pie, Haley wanted a car. But then it was my turn. ''I want to be able to change the channel on the TV whenever I want to,'' I said. Weirdly, Dad was more resistant of that than promising Haley a car.

Now, all I had to do was everything. Literally everything I had been busy with, was connected to the Internet.

Actually, everything was going great. I had been calling people with the landline, I wasn't missing to much of what was going on. But, in the mean time Alex and Luke had quit. So, now there was four of us left. 

In the afternoon I got a call from Megan if I wanted to go for ice cream together, so a little while later Megan and I were in the mall chatting. ''Oh, sh*t,'' I said. ''What?'' Megan asked. ''I just realised that I can't call Mom to come and pick me up, and I am definitely not going on the bus by myself,'' I explained. ''Oh yeah, you're doing the unplugged competition with your family. How's that going?'' Megan asked. ''Well everything is great, but I found a problem. If I want to listen to music, I have to listen to the radio. And to be honest I hate the music that comes on the radio.'' ''Oh, well that's crappy. And hey, when we get home, I'll call your Mom.'' ''Thanks.''

''Have you thought of anything to raise money for theatre club?'' I asked. ''I've been thinking, what if we do like a talent show? Everyone who wants to compete can. You don't have to pay to enter, but when you leave you can just leave whatever amount of money you like,'' Megan explained. ''But what if no one leaves any money?'' I asked. ''That's why we put in a little money before hand. People will think that other people left money, so they would kinda feel obligated to also leave money,'' She explained. ''Smart, really. You should call Mr. Owen.'' And she did.

Luckily, Mr Owen really liked the idea. So, I guess we are doing a talent show.

''Wait, what's going on. Why is everyone back on the Internet. Did I win?'' I said when I got back home. Then everyone just stared at me. ''Oh my God, we forgot,'' Mom said to Dad. ''I won?'' I asked. No one responded. ''I won!'' I yelled. ''Mom, Alex, say goodbye to the news every morning, 'cause I want to watch cartoons,'' I said. ''Crap,'' Mom said. 

(A/N: sorry it has been so long since I last published. I just caught up with all my homework yesterday, finally. And thank you for still reading. But since I do want to make a chapter of the talent show, I think it would be an idea if you left names for characters and talents, or just talents, or whatever. 'Cause I could never begin thinking of many talents and names.          I hope this was a little clear. Is clear the right word? For all my Dutchies, the word I'm looking for is duidelijk.

Thanks!)