S1 Ep10 : Undeck The Halls

''Do we have to wear these ugly sweaters?'' I whined. They were super itchy and hideous. Mine had a half puppy half snowman on it. ''It's just so grandma can see them,'' Mom replied. ''My neck hole is too small,'' Luke complained. ''Mine's itchy,'' Alex followed. ''I'd rather be itchy than chokey,'' Luke said. ''Come on, Phil. Hurry up,'' Mom said. She also hated the sweaters. 

''Connecting.''

''Come in Florida. Mom? Dad?'' Dad said as he imitated a static. ''Hello, Phillip,'' Grandpa said. Problem was, we only saw his forehead. ''Merry Christmas Eve!'' We all yelled at the laptop before us. ''A little lower, Grandpa,'' I said. The camera was too high up, so now we could only see his forehead. ''Merry Christmas Eve,'' Grandpa said in a deeper voice. Mom laughed and said: ''Thank you, thanks for the sweaters.'' ''Oh, you're welcome, you look beautiful, darling,'' He said to mom. ''Where's mom?'' Dad asked. ''Your mom is sinking fast. She's in the bathtub,'' Grandpa joked en we laughed. 

''Hey, dad. Here's the tree. And there's the ornament you sent us,'' Dad said as he pointed the camera toward the tree. In the meanwhile, mom got up to point out the ornament.  ''There are the stockings, hung by the chimney, hung by Claire,'' Dad said and everyone laughed, but I didn't get what was so funny. 

''What is that? That looks like a cigarette burn,'' Mom said as she looked at the couch. ''Was one of you smoking a cigarette?'' Mom asked, getting angry. ''No,'' We all said, ''Which one of you was smoking?'' She asked still getting angrier. ''Do you really think I'm that stupid?'' I said but it got lost away in all the other denials. ''Not me. I have a respiratory problem,'' Dad said. ''Obviously, it wasn't you,'' Mom said to dad. 

For me, this was a good time to take the laptop with grandpa and quietly walk upstairs. Everyone was super worked up, so no one noticed. 

''What did you do, Hannah?'' Grandpa asked. ''I took you upstairs. I wasn't in the mood for all that drama, and I figured you aren't either,'' I explained. ''Yeah,'' Grandpa said. ''So, I heard  you got into theatre?'' He asked. ''Yeah. It has been really fun. It also gave me something to talk about with Manny,'' I said. ''Yeah, hey, wish them a Merry Christmas from me and your grandma, everyone. Manny, Gloria, Jay, Mitchell, Cam and little Lily,'' He said. ''Will do,'' I replied.

Then I heard mom yell from downstairs. ''Hannah Amber Dunphy! Get down! And take your grandfather with you!'' ''I'm in trouble,'' I said to grandpa and I quickly went downstairs.

''Why did you walk away?'' Mom asked angrily. ''I wasn't in the mood for drama,'' I said. ''I'm afraid there'll be drama anyway,'' She said. 

''Merry Christmas!'' Dad said one last time to Grandpa and then he hung up.

''This is unacceptable, and I want to know who did this. Hmm?'' Mom said. ''Nobody, huh?'' Dad said. ''I guess the couch did it to itself. Guess it came home after a tough day, lit up a cigarette and then burned itself. Is that what happened? Because that makes no sense,'' He added. ''If whoever is responsible doesn't come forward your father and I are just going to have to punish all four if you,'' Mom said. ''What?'' Haley said. ''That's not fair!'' Both Luke and I said. ''I can forgive the smoking, but I can't forgive the lie,'' Dad said. ''No,'' Mom cut in. ''Or the smoking,'' Dad corrected himself. ''No one wants to confess, huh? No? That's fine, 'cause you know what happens next? We cancel Christmas,'' Dad said. ''No,'' I said. This was definitely not something I had expected from dad. Usually, he was very laidback and forgiving. This was something I didn't expect from mom. ''That's not fair,'' Luke said again. ''Okay, dad, sure,'' Haley said.

''Okay, guess where I'm headed. To take down the tree. That's right. This is your last chance,'' Dad said. ''Come on, guys. Whoever did this, just take responsibility. Don't put the rest of us through this. Luke?'' Mom said. And Luke shook his head. ''Hannah? Alex?'' Mom asked, but we stayed silent. ''Haley?'' She lastly asked. ''No,'' Haley said.