Chapter 10

"Jack! Jack please wake up!" Hiccup clung to the boys shoulders whilst trying his best not to burst into tears. A crashing sound behind him sends him into full protect mode and a circle of flames surround the pair. That is until he sees the shocked faces of the Guardians standing on the edge of the familiar clearing.

"Sorry." Hiccup winces willing the flames away. He turns his gaze back to Jack who is still sleeping peacefully in his lap.

"Is he..." Tooth trailed of as tears rolled down her cheeks. Hiccup shook his head but couldn't stop the tears forming in his own eyes. After all he had done, he couldn't protect him. All Hiccup wanted to do was get Jack out safely and he couldn't even do that.

"It's not your fault Hiccup." North comforted, approaching the tempormental spirit cautiously.

"It is my fault. All of this is my fault. If I had fought back when Pitch first found me none of this would have happened. He put memories in my head, fake ones of Jack. I believed them, and now Jack might not ever wake up because of it. Because of me."

All Hiccup's internal self hatred exploded. His magic reached out and touched everything in its path. The guardians were pushed back my the force of the blow. Hiccup remained completely oblivious to this, hunched over Jack's body weeping tears of utter despair.

He was so caught up in his grief he didn't feel the quickening breaths under him. He didn't see the winter spirit's eyes flutter open, or hear the concerned voice ask him if he was okay.

"Hiccup look at me." Jack whispered, tilting Hiccup's head up enough so their eyes met. Hiccup's brown doe eyes were blown wide when he realised what was happening.

"J-Jack?"

"It's okay. I'm alright." Jack said weakly, managing a smile. Hiccup wrapped his arms around the boy and clung to him like a life line. His magic reeled itself in, allowing the guardians to come closer.

"Jack you're alright!" North exclaimed in his normal loud voice. Jack smiled wider and nodded his head slowly, not liking the dizzy feeling that came with each movement.

"What did he do to me?" Jack questioned, looking straight at Hiccup. Said boy looked away guilt stricken.

"He was preparing you so he could erase you memory. It's what he did for me, except he left a few and altered the rest. He wanted to make you his slave, and it's all my fault."

"Hiccup you saved me. I don't blame you for any of this. I blame pitch and his twisted evil ways." Jack sat up fully, once again tilting Hiccup's head so their eyes met. Hiccups eyes brimmed with tears, as the darkness was pushed from his mind. Somehow Jack was overriding Pitch's power.

"I'm sorry I couldn't find you sooner. When I became Jack Frost my memories were wiped completely. But I have them back and I am never going to leave you again." Hiccup's breath hitched and he rest his head on Jack's shoulder. All the exhaustion from his magic finally caught up with him.

"Thank you." Hiccup said sleepily, trying his best to stay awake a little while longer. It didn't work. Sleep washed over him like the tide, pulling him out into the deepest depths of his subconscious.

"We should take him back to the Pole. He used magic none stop for hours, he is going to be completely drained." Jack stated, lifting the sleeping spirit of the ground and onto the large area at the back of the sleigh.

North nodded and headed of to the Pole, whilst Tooth, Sandy, Bunny and Jack watched over the sleeping boy.

It has been a rough couple of days that's for sure.