Chapter 1

Thin tendrils of frost curled round a tree, crinkling the autumn leaves and turning them to mulch on the floor. Jack smiled slightly at his accomplishments. Bringing the winter gave him a purpose and, after one hundred years of doing so, he had become rather good at it.

Soft white powder lay delicately on what Jack likes to call his 'practice tree' where he constantly tests out his powers, searching for newer more powerful abilities every decade or so. This tree was nestled in an unreachable cove on the island he calls home: Berk. Long since abandoned and desolate, the island proves a safe haven for the winter spirit, allowing him to practise in peace.

After twenty years of abandonment the dragons began to repopulate the island, although Jack never once saw the dragon he most desperately craved to see. A certain snow white dragon whom he was raised with. The only thing he could remember from his past life.

The light of the moon dipped below the trees and Jack sighed. He got up from his comfortable nook and flew into the pink morning sky, cloak wrapped round his thin shoulders and staff in hand. Jack soared above the trees and to the mainland, ready to bring winter to another small part of the world. 

His frost danced above the developing buildings, making them shimmer in the early morning sun. Villagers shivered at the drastic change in temperature and rushed to get fires started. Jack caught sight of a distant gold light bouncing from house to house, but paid no real attention to it. 

He covered vast expansions of land, coming across hundreds of animals that bowed at his presence. Nature was grateful for Jack, helping transition them from Autumn to Winter effortlessly. Even great stags bowed their heads in acknowledgement of the winter spirit.

The humans were none the wiser, not that Jack wanted it to be any different. He was quite contempt with living amongst nature. The humans, for unknown reasons, scared him. A pit in his stomach opened up whenever one got close.

So he stayed above the houses, away from the bustling streets below and fulfilled his purpose as as a guardian: to bring excitement to the children through the art of snow.

After covering the entire continent of North America Jack flew back to the tiny island in the North Atlantic for some well deserved rest. But of course the poor boy could never get a moments peace. As soon as he reached his nook the Northern lights flashed through the sky in a way Jack knew meant danger.

With a sigh, the boy flew up into the now dark sky and headed to the North Pole.

Upon arriving he was bombarded by hugs and greetings from the way to enthusiastic Guardians he loves dearly. He chuckled along with their antics until the mood suddenly went sour. North frowned and headed over to the globe which was flickering dangerously.

Jack opened his mouth to question when thick black sand started to envelope the globe, snuffing out all the lights. Sandy gasped as specks of the dark powder landed on him, seeming to latch onto his light magic.

A low, manic laugh echoed around the spacious room, bouncing of the large glass roof and hitting every surface with such force it almost knocked the elves of their feet.

"I knew my little show would get you all together." A deep voice said from inside the powder. Jack shot ice at the black, which managed to stop some of it, twisting together to make terrifying shards.

"Ah Jack Frost, I was wondering when I would meet you. I have some interesting information that will interest you greatly."

North growled, defensively stepping in front of Jack.

"What do you want Pitch?" He snarled, gripping his shining swords ready to pounce.

"I only want to see the world burn." Pitch said in a tone that was way to calm causing shivers down Jack's spine.

North didn't wait for him to elaborate. With one swift movement he shattered the shards of ice, causing the powder to explode and disappear. Jack was frozen in fear. Why did he want to speak with him? What could he know that would ever interest him?

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the same shimmer from the village. Only this time brighter and more pronounced. But by the time he had turned fully the light had gone. Jack chose to ignore it and tuned into the very heated discussion happening inches away.

"This is an act of war Bunny and you are suggesting we do nothing!" Tooth cried, flailing her arms about.

"Yes I am, because we have no idea what he is planning and if we go in there weapons blazing and are outnumbered, we'll be done for." Tooth fell silent at that and suck to the ground.

North was deep in thought staring into the crackling fire. His eyes held conflicted emotions, occasionally glancing over to the silver haired spirit.

"I know what we must do. But I am afraid we will be breaking a rule set by Man in moon himself." North whispered, very unlike his normal boisterous tone.

"Then should we really be doing it?" Jack questions staring at him wide eyed.

"We must."

.

.

.

What do you think the rule was? Do the guardians know something Jack doesn't? I would love to hear your theories.