Chapter 2

Tooth, Bunny and Sandy went to their respective sanctums, leaving Jack alone with a frustrated North. North was storming through the factory when he suddenly turned on Jack and pulled him close.

"Listen to me Jack. What we are about to do, the person we are about to find is dangerous. He is temperamental and hurt. Only you can convince him to help us, understand."

"Why me?" Jack retorted, voice shaking slightly.

"Because you knew him." North whispered, turning back around. Jack was about to react when Tooth appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

"I brought what you asked for North." She mumbled, handing North two golden tubes with beautiful pink and green embellishments. North pocketed one and handed the other to Jack.

As soon as Jack touched the metal he was sucked into a swirling abyss of colours. He fell through the whirlpool of light until the colours settled and he hit the floor.

Around him was the familiar scenery of Berk. Except this Berk had people, a huge village positioned on a cliff. Jack recognised the village, but had long since forgotten the people who had dwelled here. The faces blurred when he tried to focus on them, as if the memory didn't want him to see them.

Confused, he walked through the streets and came across the only person who's face was clear. A tall boy with tussled brown hair, two small braids sticking out on one side. Next to him rest a magnificent black dragon, eyes the colour of emeralds. Jack stared in curiosity as the brown haired boy stood up and raced into the arms of another.

Jack stumbled back when the face came into view. He knew that face, that hair, those baggy clothes. He knew them so well as that was him, Jack before Jack Frost. Before he allowed the lake to claim his soul.

Muffled voices broke through the image and Jack cried out, wanting to know who this lanky brown haired boy was. The colours merged once more and he was back in the factory.

"Jack! Are you okay? I have never seen someone react to a memory like that before." Tooth asked frantically, pulling him to his feet.

"Tooth careful." North scolded, not wanting to agitate the winter spirit any more.

"What was that? Who is he?" Jack yelled, throwing the golden tube away and backing into a wall out of fear. The memory had shaken him, awoken emotions buried deep within him that he didn't know existed.

"You don't remember him?" North asked softly. Jack shook his head, tears starting to form. 

"Jack, that boy was called Hiccup Haddock." Jacks breath hitched at the name but he didn't know why. He let Tooth continue. "Before you became Jack Frost, you lived on Berk with him. You were in love, Jack. But something terrible happened to him. Something held in your memories. But the man in the moon did something to them, corrupted them somehow. Something happened in your past that he doesn't want you to know about."

Jack tucked his knees to his chest and tried to steady his breathing. It felt as if his lungs were caving in. How could he not remember his love? What happened to him that the man in the moon did not want him to see? 

"Jack calm down." Jack looked up to see sharp icicles hanging from the ceiling getting dangerously close to the life below. He loosened his grip on his staff and the ice stopped growing.

Without a word he summoned wind to burst open a nearby window and flew back to Berk. His tear were cold against his cheek, swept away by the wind. He barely stopped to catch his breath, desperate to be alone.

He reached the familiar forests, but this time the sight didn't warm his heart. Instead it pierced it like a dagger. He lived here for almost a century but fails to remember anything before his time as Jack Frost. In anger he shot blast after blast of blue ice from his cane, freezing over the trees until they were nearly unrecognisable.

"How could you do this to me?" Jack screamed at the sky, breathless. He was taunted by silence, just like all the other times Jack had tried to contact the man on the moon. Now he knew he was hiding something, Jack wanted more that anything for him to show him anything related to his past.

Cracking below sent him on high alert. Roars of dragons running to safety made his chest constrict. In his anger he had completely forgotten about the life still present on the island. He flew down silently and headed towards a particularly pained cry of a dragon.

As he neared the source he became more and more anxious. He had learned over the years to steer clear from the beasts as they did not take kindly to humans anymore. But this cry for help was to heart wrenching to ignore. He floated through the trees, eyes darting around for any lurking dragons.

He came to a clearing, one he avoided for reasons unknown to him. In the centre of the clearing was a large lake, frozen over due to Jack's outburst. Lying by the frozen waters edge was a pure white dragon, with a crimson streak through its front paw.

"Aithusa!" Jack cried in relief. His dragon, his beloved dragon had finally returned. Aithusa lifted her head and almost smiled at the familiar voice. After a century, dragon and trainer were reunited once more.

"I thought I had lost you. Don't scare me like that again." Jack mock scolded, Aithusa gurgling in response. She went to stand up, but her wounded paw buckled underneath her and she fell with a pained roar.

"Here let me." Jack rested his hand on the wound and a layer of frost formed over it, stopping the bleeding and stitching the sides back together. The dragon whimpered and nudged her head against the spirit with gratitude in her striking blue eyes.

"I have missed you so much." Jack whispered to the light-fury, scratching under her chin. Just as they had settled down a deafening boom erupted behind them, sending Jack flying. He fell into a rock and was knocked out cold.