Chapter 4

Jack lay back on his dragon, revelling in the cool breeze as the two soared above the clouds. Below them they could make out the hushed whispers of the Guardians trying to come up with a strategy. Jack knew exactly what needed to be done however.

He needed to remember. Not just snippets but everything. He called out to Sandy, and the mute Guardian was at his side in an instant.

"I need you to put me in a deep sleep and pull memories from my subconscious. If I am going to talk to Hiccup I need to remember everything." Jack said, patting the head of Aithusa as she gurgled worriedly. Sandy shook his head, a bunch of unintelligible symbols appearing above his head.

"Woah woah, calm down. I know it can be dangerous but this is my only hope of talking to him. He must have been avoiding me for a reason, otherwise he would have seeked me out. I need to know why." Jack's icy blue eyes were pleading with Sandy's golden ones, until finally he gave in. Aithusa guided them down to the sleigh. North was sat in the front, keeping a watchful eye on the nightfury ahead.

Jack sat on the very large bench seat at the back, waiting for the sleep to overcome him. Sandy laced his fingers together creating patterns of yellow sand that trailed delicately through the air and into Jack's head. The sand nestled in the deepest part of Jack's mind, instantly knocking him out and bringing forth memory after memory.

Memory one.

Jack was very young, maybe three at best, shivering in a dark forest under a tree. Terror radiated of the young boys body as he tried to block out the eerie whisper of the trees. Approaching footsteps made him cry silent tears. That was until strong arms scooped him up. Then his cries became very much audible.

"Let go!" Jack screamed, clawing at the bushy red beard that was scratching at his face.

"Its okay little one, I am going to take you to my village. You'll be safe there." A kind voice said with a very thick Scottish accent. In a strange way it soothed the boy, although he wasn't sure whether it was the voice or the words said.

He must have dosed of as the scene quickly jumped to a large wooden building with extremely large furniture and a warm fire crackling in the centre of the lower level.

Next to him was the large Scottish man and opposite a very young Hiccup, his features so small and covered in freckles. His brown mop of hair was thinner, but just as unruly as Jack's previous memory.

The older part of Jack wanted to cry, but the younger self smiled and waved at the boy nervously.

"Hello." Jack found himself whispering, unable to change this memory despite his fear.

"Hello." Hiccup whispered back, looking more intrugied than nervous.

Before anything else could get said Jack was whipped away in a swirl of colours and the scene changed once more.

memory two

Jack took in his bearings and found himself in a village square surrounded by stalls and loud vikings trying to sell their products. A little way ahead he saw a now ten year old Hiccup purchasing a deep blue scarf. Only then did he realise that the ground was covered in a thin layer of snow, and Jack was actually freezing.

"Jack you are going to catch your death if you don't wrap up." Hiccup called, lobbing the scarf at Jack who caught it effortlessly.

"Whatever." Jack found himself saying in a jokey tone that made Hiccup laugh. It was a sweet melodic sound that made Jack's stomach flutter. He was beginning to understand his feelings for the boy.

 "Come on, my father wants us to prepare for the hunt." Hiccup said, a hint of a frown on his face.

"I can't believe he wants us to hunt down dragons. It's barbaric." Jack growled. Inside his head Jack was terribly confused, but he let the memory play out.

"I know. But what am I going to do about it? He never listens to me." Hiccup sounded so sad that Jack's heart broke a little. He pulled him into a side hug and they walked over to the armoury.

The scene changed and the two of them were dangling out of a tree.

'How on earth did this happen' Jack near enough shouted in his mind and tried desperately to take control of his body. Hiccup was slipping, tears streaming down his face as he looked to the churning rapids below us.

"Hold on Hiccup, I got you." He said reaching a hand out and latching it around the boy's forearm. Jack himself was starting to slip, but didn't let the fear get to him. It was then a massive dark shadow shot underneath them, drawing a terrified scream from Hiccup who was ripped from Jack's grasp.

"Hiccup!" Jack yelled, clambering onto the branch to try and find his best friend. He scoured the tree line until the shadow burst  through the leaves in front of him. Hiccup grabbed onto Jack's shirt on his way past and soon they were both in the air on the back of a dragon. A nightfury no less.

Jack found himself thinking Stoik would be furious if he found out. But he was quickly pulled from this thought as Hiccup leaned back against his chest and let out a sigh.

"I was hoping to tell you another way. I guess Toothless wanted to add a bit of dramatic flare."

"He's not the only one." Jack laughed, suddenly comfortable on the back of the so called beast. If Hiccup trusted it then so would he.

Just as Jack was getting used to Hiccup's body weight against him, the images swirled and were replaced by flames. Namely dragon flames. He knew this place, it was the memory shown to him not that long ago. Although this seemed to be more the aftermath as the Queen Dragon was laying motionless on the pebble beach. About ten feet ahead of Jack lay toothless, his tail singed and something...no someone wrapped in his wings.

"Toothless?" Jack called and the dragon uncurled his wings to reveal Hiccup, burned and missing a leg. Jack burst into tears and took his limp body in his arms, cradling him. Hiccup coughed weakly and tried to open his eyes.

"No don't overexert yourself. Sleep Hiccup." Jack whispered, and the boy fell into a deep sleep.

Another memory, one of the many shown to Jack that he has lost count

Jack was getting pretty tired of the constant change of scenery. But this next one felt different to the others. It was dark, the only light provided was that of the moon. Jack was hand in hand with Hiccup at a clearing. No. The clearing. The one were Jack spent the most part of his immortal life. The frozen lake reflected the moonbeams leaving patterns across the rocks that surround it.

Hiccup tugged on his hand and they were suddenly on the ice. They were both wearing makeshift ice skates and matching hats and scarves.

"Come on Jack." Hiccup teased already in the middle of the lake. Jack skated shakily to his boyfriend. Yes, by this point Jack had seen enough to confidently call Hiccup his boyfriend.

Jack was just getting the hang of it when there was a loud crack. He looked below him and saw splinters in the ice. Hiccup yelled at Jack to move but he couldn't, frozen out of fear. He felt the ice give way, but instead of feeling the icy cold water as expected, he heard a yelp followed by a splash.

Jack opened his eyes and Hiccup was nowhere to be seen. All that was there was a gaping hole in the ice.

"Hiccup?" Jack called, his eyes fixed on the hole. He couldn't, could he. No, Jack had sworn to protect the viking. There was no way he was....

Jack slid over to the hole and stuck his hand in trying to grab at anything remotely resembling a hand. But it was too late. Hiccup was gone and it was all his fault.

Then Jack woke up.

.

.

.

This was more a filler chapter with a few flashbacks. I want to draw out Jack's period of remembrance as much as possible, so there will probably be a few more flashbacks before they find Hiccup.