"Whatever we want, the fridge is packed," Todd said motioning for her to go check. She hopped up from her chair, the large stainless-steel fridge was indeed packed, it was hard to decide. She settled on a raspberry yogurt and brought one over to Todd too.

"That's not a meal," Todd said, he went back to the fridge to look at what else it contained, he brought over a container of food from the hotel restaurant, "this is from last night, more of that steak? It's my parents but they won't mind."

He heated the food serving it on a plate for her.

"You are certainly cheery for a guy who just got beat up," Laura said as she looked at the surprisingly jolly Todd. He just shook his head.

"High on painkillers," he noted, Laura studied him as he ate, the bandage keeps getting stuck into his potatoes, and he looked like he was uncomfortable, but not in pain. Laura assumed the large portion of potatoes he had on his plate was not his choice, but a dietary restriction as to not bother his nose.

"Yes, well that's good you're not in pain," Laura said. Suddenly Amy arrived in the kitchen, along with another familiar face, Brad. Her brain said Brad's name with a grumble and through clenched teethed as Todd had done so eloquently last night.

"Hey guys," Amy said ignoring Todd's annoyance when he saw Todd. Laura wondered if perhaps that was why Amy wasn't quite decent when they knocked on her door, she was shacking up with her partner, Brad.

"Have a good morning, Amy?" his sister was caught off guard by the suddenly hostile Todd.

"Look, Dude, don't get mad at me, you and Brad aren't friends," Amy said honestly, calling out the two.

"Hardly acquaintances," Brad said stretching out and yawning. Amy gave Brad a scolding look, before pointing her eye's in Laura's direction. Amy joked, "Sorry Laura. Bad blood in this family."

Laura looked shocked; this was a passionate disagreement about something, but she had no clue as to what it could be about.

"C'mon Laura, let's go hang out in the other room," Todd said gently, not wanting to be in the presence of Brad any longer. Laura and Todd got up from the table, taking their plates. He led her down the hallway into the living room.

The room was completely open wide, rustic pine on the floors, a large brick fireplace was the centerpiece as well as a television set the size of a small elephant. The walls were covered in wood paneling that added a cabin-like feel to the room. They sat on a black sectional together, and Todd sunk into it, his plate of food still teetering in his lap. He groaned.

"Laura, I have to tell you about Brad. I love my sister, but God knows what she sees in that idiot."

Todd began to explain the situation with Brad. He had attended the same school as Todd and his sister. Brad was a guy that had played a part in bullying him when he was going to that school, he was friends with the boy that attacked him after school. Todd didn't necessarily know whether or not Brad did anything, but the fact that Brad continually made fun of Todd when his sister wasn't around didn't help, by all means, all Todd wanted was for Brad and his sister to break up. But it was her choice either to stay with the jerk or break up with him and disappoint her parents.

"So, why exactly would staying with Brad help your sister keep from disappointing your parents?" Laura asked curiously, Todd frowned.

"Brad is the son of the head of the other company, the company we merged with. He also is going to possibly inherit that company in the future, which is what our parents assume. If Amy breaks up with him it could mean the merger wouldn't work. Brad and Amy met at a dinner a couple of years ago and have been close ever since," Todd admitted, "perhaps a little too close if you get my drift."

Laura had to agree on that one, Todd was probably still grossed out that they slept together last night. She would be upset too if she had any siblings, but there was a reason they had gotten together; though the reason was superficial.

"Wow, I can't believe your sister got herself into this mess," Laura said frowning.

"Yeah, well I can't believe that jerk is still allowed at our house, I have openly admitted to both my parents and my sister that he is an asshole that bullied me, and yet here he is," Todd scoffed, clearly irritated.

"Yeah that's messed up," Laura agreed, "but you can come over to my house whenever, I am never doing anything, just homework."

"Lame, but yeah I'd be down to hang out whenever. I love my sister, but I hate what she does."

Laura didn't know how to alleviate the pain of a broken home, but she sure did try. That afternoon they both went out for ice cream, a well-deserved treat in the time of such unfortunate circumstances. They didn't even mention Ryan's name once. Todd called what they were doing purposeful ignoring, and Laura liked the sound of that. Being oblivious when your world was falling apart had its advantages for sure, ignorance to them was indeed bliss. 

Laura dropped Todd back off at his house after the ice cream. Laura felt that she had cheered up Todd enough to feel assured he would be okay, but more importantly, it was getting later into the afternoon and she had promised her mom she would be home in time to talk to her for a bit. As Laura pulled into her driveway, she felt a sense of curiosity what was it her mom could say to Laura that she hadn't thought of already?

When Laura got in the door her mom was experimenting with something in the kitchen. Laura investigated closer there was a whole chicken in the oven, she instinctively licked her lips.

"Hey, you," Laura heard her mom's voice bellow from the living room, she walked in wearing a light green apron and had a large bowl in her hands, she was mashing potatoes. Her face was happy, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Let's talk," her mom began, "so I have been thinking about last night, is there anything going on between you and Todd?"

"No, we are just friends," Laura responded.

"Okay, so I don't know if you have pressed charges, but I think you should," her mom added, a stoic expression on her face.

"Well, we are so—,"

"Good," her mom interrupted, "just one more thing, I hope you know I will do everything in my power to help with the trial, and keep you kids safe. Laura, I don't think you are but are you and Ryan speaking still?"

"No, I am not speaking to him, and I will do my best to ignore him Mom, but I am a little scared," her mom set the potatoes aside and hugged Laura gently, Laura could smell the musk of potatoes on her mother.

"He won't be there, honey, he can't hurt you, and if you don't feel safe going to school we will do everything we can to support you, both your dad and I love you so much and want what is best for you," her mother comforted Laura, Laura felt her mother's words completely. Laura's voice was strained from needing the release of tears as she said.

"I love you too."