Chapter 19

Over the course of the next week, she had straightened things out with Ryan, he agreed that Laura was not overreacting at all and that what he had done was uncalled for and that he was, in fact, sorry. Which made Laura feel heard and she recognized it was just a matter of miscommunication.

She wasn't going to go far with him until she felt that it was something that both of them wanted and she wanted to take things slow.

Given this new information of mutual consent, Ryan became quite annoying about asking if she wanted to be kissed nearly every time they did. She told him he could be more subtle if he wanted, and he just whispered, 'can I kiss you?' It was cute, but also annoying because in the back of her mind she felt it was insincere, and made her feel belittled, though she didn't admit this to Ryan. It seemed as though the warm feelings she once felt for Ryan were becoming cooler as the days marched on. The annoyance quickly became contempt, and she often had to remind herself that he in fact was the boy she had fallen in love with.

Todd became more of a constant in Laura's life. Rather than flat out ignoring her at school, he was almost always beside her, whether it was after math class, walking together before, and after classes, days where they had no interaction, were slim to none.

Since his popularity had slipped due to Elise breaking up with him, he had stopped hanging around with his other friends as often. That did not stop the judgment, however, that he received for hanging out with Laura, someone who was lower on the high school food chain than him or anyone else for that matter.

Laura often noticed looks in the hallways when she was talking to Todd, mostly from popular girls who most definitely were confused as the why Todd would be talking to her. In their eyes, it was as if Todd was speaking to his imaginary friend in the hallway. Laura was after all practically invisible. The looks were never too obvious, but just obvious enough to spot. Some were of confusion, some thought it was humorous to see her and Todd together, and some just scowled. Todd assured Laura that these looks were all in her head. Though that opinion of his was misleading, Todd had no idea of the attention he garnered from the female sex. He was clueless about the power he wielded as the 'attractive popular guy.'

"You don't see it because you are you," Laura said flatly, they were at her locker at the end of the day, usually she met up with Ryan after school, but he had a music lesson. He always seemed to have music lessons. It was odd because he typically didn't have lessons on Fridays, but he explained his instructor was gearing them up for the big show.

"So what if girls look at us and are confused? I am sick of pretending to like the people I hang out with if you're the only one I like talking to, what does it matter? And I need to talk to you they are so dumb, it's like talking to a wall with them, football this, cheerleading that, look what Daddy bought me!" He rolled his eyes, Laura just smiled, she appreciated that her friends were not loathsome. She patted his shoulder comforting him.

"This is what you get for being attractive, you get to hang out with attractive people, who didn't have to forge a personality in order to have friends. Not sure why your different exactly, hey, how come your interesting, Todd? You don't fit into my narrow worldview," she said sarcastically. He just took her words in stride and held a tight smile on his face.

"Oh, Laura you simple girl, you simple homely, troll-like beast who eats children in her sleep," he chided; showing her fake affection. Laura felt attacked, yet humored, "You will never understand."

"Shut up, you," Laura teased.

Laura knew why he was different anyway, he didn't care about anything they did; the latest fashion, showing off their wealth, celebrities, gossip, scandals, sports, and elitism. All his friends wanted was drama, whereas all Todd wanted was to be liked. He was simple, and simple people are so underrated.