Chapter 23

"I am in love with your house," Laura said, her head peering up looking at every crevice of the space.

"Thank you, Laura," he said, Laura then noticed his bandages on his face. He greeted her with a tense smile, his lip is split down the middle, a few stitches are crossed into his face to the left of his nostril, his nose is still healing bandages covering it, and below his eye is a puce colored bruise from the impact of the blow he received. His face looked wrong.

"Oh, God, Todd, I'm sorry," she added. Feeling slightly awkward for paying attention to the room instead of him.

"Yeah, but my face will heal soon, I'm sure," he said hopeful, "now would you like to see the rest of the place?"

"Yes, please," Laura said without hesitation. As they went through the countless number of rooms, Laura got a true sense of the house. She was amazed by how in some parts of the rooms they were restored. The sink in the kitchen, for example, was the old farm sink restored from the original home, the blue paisley wallpaper in the master bedroom was a reproduction as well, the hardwood throughout the home was original. The repurposed portions of the home added to its value as well as its character. It was luxurious yet in its way historical.

"The designer had a lot of fun with that," Todd pointed out to the oddly shaped pool in the back yard, she couldn't quite name the shape.

"A zigzag, circular, big oddly shaped," she paused.

"Who exactly do you swim in that?"

"No idea," Todd replied, "let's go see Amy," he suggested.

"Okay," Laura accepted happily she liked Amy she reminded her of Todd personality-wise that is, they looked quite similar for fraternal twins, the eye color and hair texture was sure different though. Todd had curly brown hair while Amy had silky straight hair, which now that Laura realized how rich they were, Amy definitely could have gotten a blow out to make it look straight. Laura had considered the process but liked her curls the way they were even if they were a little inconvenient most days.

Todd led Laura to his sister's room, which was on the top floor, time for stairs Laura prompted herself. As they climbed the stairs, Laura complained jokingly, "Don't you guys have an elevator?"

"Yes," Todd replied. Laura's mouth just formed the words to her next statement, as nothing came out. An elevator, who lives in a private residence with an elevator?

"Right," she said and continued to climb the lovely staircase.

Todd knocked on his sister's door, "Hey, Amy you decent? Laura and I just wanted to see if you could hang out?"

"Um, wait for a second—actually um, I'll meet you guys in the kitchen," Amy said clearly not ready to see company.

"Okay, well see you soon," he said, he shrugged.

"Well, Laura back down the stairs?" an expression of disbelief crossed over Laura's face.

"You have an elevator?" she immediately went to look for it.

"On your right Laura, I'm taking the stairs, I'll see if I can beat you!" Todd exclaimed before starting on the stairs. Laura shook her head as she waited for the stairs.

"Don't hurt yourself," she shouted after him.

The elevator came to greet Laura and she stepped in, it was polished silver all around her, black and white marble tiles beneath her feet. The numbers looked older and she was convinced she had been transported back to the early 1940s.

Of course, Todd had beaten her, without much effort no doubt. The two grabbed a seat at the large white granite kitchen island.

"So, what's for lunch?" Laura asked.