Chapter 14

When daylight hit the window, Laura was already awake. In fact she had long been awake, and the tiredness never hit her that morning as she was still thinking of Ryan.

She turned off her useless alarm and went downstairs to gather some food for them both, she knew both of her parents were asleep still. Laura settled for the fruit from the fridge and the last cherry turnover for Ryan. Laura brought the sustenance up to her room, Ryan sat up in his spot on the floor and took a seat on the bed next to her.

The smile never left Laura's lips as he steals a strawberry from her plate. He thanked her for the food, getting his jacket on and she gave him some gloves and a hat. Before he could leave to walk back to his house, she joined him outside. The snow fell softly around them as they stood by the doorway. It was magical the way the pattern of snowflakes effortlessly changed direction. He looked confused before she said.

"I'm coming with you."

She grabbed her jacket, hat, and gloves from the house. And they took off toward Ryan's house. His strides are a bit longer than hers, but she kept pace with him as best she could. He noticed her efforts and slowed down a bit. They talked all the way to his street.

"So, Ryan, will your parents actually kick you out?" she is hesitant to bring up the subject of his parents, but she knew it was important to ask.

"Well, this has happened before, they usually are sleeping all day after drinking all night, they just got a little wild from the holiday. They are crazy during this time. But yeah, I just leave. I really have to find my own place," he mentioned, his eyes turned to hers before he shrugged, "Guess I'll have to see what will happen."

The honesty was appreciated but it was still hard for Laura to hear. They talked about school mostly, about work, and about her plan for the remainder of today.

"So," Laura said grinning, "what made you realize—you liked me."

"I don't know, you're an amazing friend and I just felt a connection between us. Last night I felt that you were so intriguing and so different from me, but the difference made us closer."

The morning air felt beautifully serene as the sun started to creep up, it was high in the sky now. The dazzling snowbanks in the distance caused a cascade of sparkles, and a tint of blue covered the entirety of everything. It was so perfect, and she felt Ryan caress her cheek he turned her to look at him. His lips are on hers and she is taken back to paradise. The slow soft sensation of his kiss heated up her body, it lulled her into him. She wrapped her arms around him and stood on the edge of her toes to meet him fully. He wrapped his arms around her deepening their kiss until he pulled away. Laura's heart skipped in her chest. He grinned at her and whispered.

"I have to go now, so my parents don't see you. But don't worry about me. They are dead asleep."

She let him go, losing his touch was painful. She felt colder again but she smiled.

"I understand," she said her voice low. He turned around to face his house. The house looked like it could use a bit of work, dull paint job, the paint chipped in places, and the windows had large bars on them.

"Home sweet home," she heard him mutter, as he trudged along the sidewalk, past the park, and down the street. She watched him for a bit before she realized that she before anyone woke up, should get back to her home sweet home as well. She had a boring day without Ryan but took it in stride she was simply singing with joy for the next twenty-four hours, that was until Monday morning arrived.

Laura woke up Monday morning and felt out of sync with herself. Her head almost imploded because she knew the upcoming day would be rough; even though, this break was something from a romantic comedy.