Chapter 16

He did end up sending her a text, how sweet he remembered. What a great idea, she thought. This would be like their first date. Laura quickly texted back.

Sure, what time?

He replied back instantly.

7, I'll come pick you up.

Shoot, she thought, her aunt and mom would want to know what was up. Laura couldn't just leave, could she? No stupid idea. She knew they would notice. Laura could only hope her dad wasn't going to be back by then. He would be more suspicious of Ryan, especially Ryan's black eye, which Laura hadn't thought of her mom wouldn't like that black eye either. Maybe Ryan would've covered it with something? Laura knew it wouldn't be helpful to warn him now, he'd be there in like five minutes. Maybe he would just stay in his car?

"Hey, guys, so I am actually going to a movie with a friend in a bit." Laura hoped her mom wouldn't push the issue.

"Oh, who with?" her mom smiled, reading Laura's mind, "If you don't mind telling us?"

"Ryan," Laura said waiting for the teasing to begin.

"Oh, I see," her mom said smiling, "but just so you know your aunt and I would like to talk to him before you guys go."

"No, Mom, come on, it's just Ryan. We are just friends," Laura pleaded, like a week ago this would be true. But nevertheless, Laura would lie, it was just too awkward to bring up her mom and aunt.

"Ha, ha, nice joke, Laura," her mom said sarcastically.

"No seriously mom," Laura said.

"Come on, Laura, all we want to do is interrogate him until he confesses to something, we don't know what yet, but it will be something! Remember you have a lawyer for a mother!" Laura's aunt joked with her. Laura rolled her eyes at her aunt.

"Stop guys." Laura had to keep herself from spilling just yet, she then heard a knock at the door, that'll be him. God couldn't he just have texted to meet him out in the car.

"Wait here," Laura said and they both got up as soon as she does, typical. They followed Laura close behind as she got to the door.

Laura opened it to find Ryan on her doorstep. Laura remembered her ugly brown sweater and felt underdressed and embarrassed as soon as she saw what he was wearing, his dark jacket and jeans looked fresh, very stylish. She could swear she saw a bit of his black eye, but luckily his eye was hidden by the night and shadows. He also had the foresight to part his hair so that it laid flat over that side of his face.

"Hey," he said to Laura, then looked up gradually to see her attentive family members, all Laura could think is hurry up Ryan, before her dad could join the party.

"Hi," he said to her mom and aunt, laying on the charm, but Laura just felt awkward.

"Hey, so let's get going, eh? Don't want to miss that movie," Laura said, passing the threshold of the door quickly, joining Ryan on the doorstep.

"Hold on, hold on Laura," her mom said suddenly, "which movie are you guys seeing?"

"Superhero movie actually, Spiderman," Ryan replied.

"Oh, sounds fun!" her mom said, "Ryan, would you care to come in for a taco? Have you eaten yet?"

"Well actually I ate before coming," Ryan replied smoothly, Laura let herself silently calm down, how dare her mom try to trap her and her boyfriend here with them.

"Well, Laura you be home before ten! And have a good time," Laura's mom said to her, Laura nodded before closing the door on her family.

"Sorry, about them," Laura said, he just smiled widely through the dark.