Chapter 18

"Hey, sorry I was late, got trapped in my physics class, Mr. Stanley's got another thing coming if he thinks I am going to be able to do this lab without a partner, it used to be Elise, but now since she's gone, I am stuck without help. And if I am only in Algebra Two as senior it should occur to him that I'll need all the help I can get," he complained, his brown eyes soften in despair his mouth in a disgusted sneer. Laura just shook her head.

"Hey, blame the football player, they are the enemy here," she said shrugging on the ground as she pulled up her hair into a low bun, instantly regretful of the action as her curls felt offended to be manhandled that way. Thus, became an impenetrable barrier for her fingers to run through.

Laura instantly thought of those movies where the man would pull the love interest close running his hands through her hair. She instantly got a neat visual of him running his hands through her mane, his hand getting stuck, and pulling against her while screaming for help. It made her smile deviously.

"Yeah, sharing nudes, can't believe we are the same gender," Todd lamented, Laura tossed her hair loosening the bun as it was strategizing to make her have a headache later.

"Yeah, so where are we headed, anyway?" Laura asked.

"Doesn't matter to me, but I think we should go where you want to? Where do you like to shop?" Laura gave him a wide-eyed expression, she hadn't expected this question, he added seeing her struggle, "Let's just go to the closest clothing store, okay?" Laura smiled, he could infer she wasn't much for shopping by the variety of outfits she wore, which was limited at best and cheap at worst. Laura also hated shopping, half of the time she could walk into a store and buy nothing.

They walked out of the school into the parking lot, his car was the first she saw, and it had to be his, nothing else screamed Todd, though to be frank, it was one of the few cars in the parking lot to begin with that didn't look like it just rolled out of the city dump. But this car was something Laura was surprised he drove. It was a luxurious looking black Mercedes; it outshined many a car on the highway she supposed. Laura felt like a celebrity as she got into the vehicle.

"I know why Elise asked you out even though you are gay," she joked, he just smirked, she looked around the car and leaned back into her seat, seat warmers nice touch. The heat radiated around her as she snuggled in.

"Well, not that I am a huge car nut that's for sure, my parents just happen to be. I'm surprised they let me drive this thing to school, which kind of freaks me out, gonna be honest I'm scared of driving such a nice car, so no speeding, no eating, no radio, and we get this thing home in one piece." Laura laughed at his serious face.

"And no, I won't let you drive it, it's my gravestone if someone touches this car. And I mean that." Laura just rolled her eyes casting her sights out of the oversized windows, feeling up the armrest. How the other half lives.

"Okay, just drive me somewhere nice to buy clothes," Laura said finally.

They pulled out of the school parking lot, cautiously, he triple checked the road. Laura was suddenly wary of where he was turning.

"I appreciate you going out of your way to do this for me," Laura complimented, he smiled letting his eyes trail back to her, but then instantly to the road again.

"It's no problem, I am strangely comfortable with you knowing the truth." He sighed, before taking the exit that led them out of town, "I know a place, my mom used to take me shopping with her there, it's really not far from out of town, but they have nice clothes."

A small knowing smile spread over Laura's lips; the feeling of loss slowly started to go away. She didn't feel awkward with him anymore, she only felt at peace then. The sun started to come down in the sky, the sky was orange with a glare of pink close to the sun. The horizon was so beautiful. She would've told Todd, but he was so focused on driving she didn't want to bother him.