There being no Marie between them made sure both of their core personality traits of sarcasm and even more sarcasm was out of synch. Ryan sat next to her at the kitchen table and took a bowl then scraped a bit of frosting into it, he goes for the red dye to create his masterpiece.

"So, how are things?" Laura asked, opening the conversation, she took a generous scoop of the frosting then mixed in the blue dye, evening out the streaks of white until a clear sky blue is visible. She picked up a cookie and spread the frosting thin across the brown surface. The movement put her at ease, as Ryan was usually not sitting so close to her at lunch. She felt her heart flutter a bit as he answered, his voice was deeper when he was closer.

"Things are good, I got a new computer as a Christmas present to myself, guess working at the music store has its perks!" 

Laura smiled, she never had a job she kept for more than three months, her last job only lasted two weeks.

The manager, Joleen, was sociopathic, she ran the store as if they were all inmates at her personal prison. Laura remembered several Saturday mornings Joleen had ruined of Laura's because she was called in. Laura, not having the guts to say no to her overbearing manager, spent those days at the store miscalculating coupons and practically falling asleep at the register.

"Nice, yeah, I have a laptop, had it for three years, it's pretty crummy now," she said regrettably, Ryan smirked before he advised.

"You have to quit eating on it then, Laura."

Ryan sat there smugly, however, Laura couldn't help but laugh, it wasn't funny, she knew it wasn't funny. Laura felt her cheeks glow red, as she realized how obvious she was being that she liked him, but here she was laughing like it was the funniest joke on the planet.

"Not the right choice of words," she retorted, he just shrugged.

"It's a bad habit, Laura," he said referring to his earlier sentiment.

"What, listening to your advice?" Laura questioned while tilting her head.

Their banter was a game of tennis, and they talked for a long time. It was fun enough that Laura had let her guard down, she felt like she was at lunch again. Guests started to come in when she realized the time twenty minutes after five. 

Much of Laura's neighborhood was already in the house, many little girls and boys as well, the party contained twenty guests, quite a large turnout for the neighborhood party. They both got up to make their way to the table of snacks as they had just completed their frosting duties.

Laura's mom was standing at attention in a semi-permanent position of guest greeter, Laura then noticed her aunt Rachel making her way toward them. Her hair was curled and clipped into a large updo, locks framing her heart-shaped face. She was wearing a pale green long sleeve shirt and a red pencil skirt; she was also wearing blush Laura noticed. The essence of Christmas was strongly illuminated by Aunt Rachel.

"Hey," she said to Laura first, through the raucous noise of neighbors talking and laughing.

Laura's aunt's eyes jumped from her to Ryan in a second.

"Oh, hello, my name's Rachel, I'm Laura's Aunt," she introduced herself warmly to Ryan, Laura felt her aunt's hand on her back give her a squeeze, "and you are?" she asked.

"Ryan," he answered, she smiled confidently.

"Now I have all these names to remember, Ryan it is nice to meet you," she exaggerates her words and stuck out her hand, which he promptly shakes. He gave her an awkward smile. It was cute how flustered he got. 

The Lies We Share ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें