17 - Makeovers and Mysteries

Thomas promptly followed Minho to the map room to be briefed on his first run

Once in the large wooden shack, Thomas immediately took notice of the large table with papers strewn upon it.

However, the pages weren't placed randomly, instead they each had interlocking lines that represented corridors. Together, they pieced together like a puzzle to show the maze.

"Here it is." Minho said as he rested his palms on the edge of the table.

He then moved over to point to a section of the map.

"The maze is split up into different numbered sections. Each night, the maze follows a pattern and some sections open while others close."

Thomas's eyes traced the different lines, now noticing the different numbers adorning each paper.

"I've run every inch of it myself. This is all there is." Minho concluded.

Thomas lifted his head, his brows knitting together.
"I thought it wasn't finished?"

Minho looked up, his mouth set in a thin line.

"Yeah, that's what we tell everybody. It was Alby's call, they need to have hope."

Thomas kept his eyes glued onto the map.

"So you haven't found anything?" He asked, looking up.

"Nope. But the thing that came out of the Griever could be the first real clue." He said as he picked it up from another table, examining it in his hand.

Thomas's eyes locked onto the digital "7"

"Section 7 I'm guessing?" He asked.

"Yeah, section 7 was open last night, and today we're going to take a closer look."

Thomas watched as Minho rummaged through a basket, his hand fishing out a leather harness, a utility belt, and fingerless gloves.

"Suit up." He then tossed the accessories over to the boy, who quickly caught them.

Minho began adjusting his own harness as he waited for Thomas to finish.

Once Thomas put on his gear, he examined his gloved hands, excitement beginning to spread within him. The gloves were made of wool that was dyed blue, and they were adorned with a small strap of leather for grip.

As for his vest, it was dark brown leather as well, and it fit his chest comfortably. Along the front and back were straps used for securing tools.

"Let's go." He said eagerly, which caused Minho to grin in response.

"I like the enthusiasm. Don't get sloppy." He said before jogging out of the Map Room.

Once outside, Minho looked back at Thomas, his gaze soon landing on the building behind him.